Apfelwien tart?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d510addict

Reaction score
I made apfelwien with treetop aj corn sugar and notty yeast and its been in primary for nearly 2 months but its really tart. Like a cheap wine tart is that normal or is it vinegarizing?

My limited experience is that it's the Notty that might cause it to be a little more tart. Also, 2 months for Apfelwein is still really young. I've always used Montrachet and let it age ~6 months or so. No real tartness in mine. Out of curiosity, what's your gravity reading right now?

Um tbh not sure, I tried to take a grav reading like 3 weeks ago and it read under 1.00 but the tube i was trying to float in wawsnt large enough in diameter so the hydro was catching on the sides of the tube. Either way im sure its well under 1.

yes, young apfelwein is VERY tart. Many find it drinkable at this stage; many do not.

Let it age - at 8 months it's good. at 1 year, it's better. at 16 months, it's awesome!

I have worked with notty for almost 3 years now, it can go tart. I have done three batches of edworts, and always found wine yeast works far better. Clearer finnish and less headakes. Just advice, I would leave yours for another 3-4 months before drinking. Like said about 6 months is the advised waiting period. In my experience Apfelwien is like a hand gun, you wait a long time for somthing that makes you almost as dangerous to yourself as you are to other people. Just my experience. The frat guys on my college campus nearly made a statue of me when I gave out the recipe, its in a class all its own.

All hail the great god EDWORT!!!

Drink them in good health

Haha funny stuff. Ya I really had no plan on drinking it yet just wanted to taste it. I always assumed that young cider would have more of an off flavor and some boozieness to it but ya this stuff is definitely tart. I wish really really wish I had a 5 gallon kegging setup with maybe 3 corneys so I could have some apfelwein to age/drink plus 2 kegs of some random brew I wanted to try. I just don't know that I want to spend 300 bucks or w/e it costs to get that going. Heck I dont even need a kegerator as my house is plenty cool to store stuff and its just about the right chilling temp outside this time of year.

Bottled my apfelwein on the 6th of feb. and it tasted awful, still very tart after like 3ish months and it has a weird after taste, butter like or something very hard to explain. Its clear and there are no signs of infection although for it to go south after its been done fermenting for a month plus doesn't sound right. I guess ill have to wait it out and hope it improves drastically.

Back