Is my beer supposed to be doing this?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadMitten

Reaction score
I have a batch in the secondary fermentor. It's been here about 2 weeks and I'm just about to bottle.

Yesterday, I noticed some white dots floating on the top of the beer and I don't think they were there a few days ago. Any ideas of what it could be? Is it bad or normal?

The beer is in a dark closet at 70* exactly.

For about 7 batches of mine that have had that, I have yet to figure out what it is. The general consensus is that it isn't infected, though. What I do is siphon out the beer and most of it will cling to the walls of the fermenter, but to be safe I leave about an inch of beer at the bottom. Its never affected my outcome when I do that.
You should be okay as long as it isn't furry

Gotcha.

Thanks a ton. I was starting to worry since its my first batch. Let's see how she turns out.

Much appreciated. All seem well so far. On a unrelated note, when I bottle it should I mix the sugar in the fermentor? Or place it in each bottle?

And if I put it in the fermentor how do I keep all the residue at the bottom from getting all mixed up?

You need to get a bottling bucket. Poke around here. There are plenty of threads on here about bottling. If all else fails get yourself a copy of "How to Brew" by John Palmer or any other basic brewing text.

Bottling bucket, boil up some water and add priming sugar to it, rack beer on top and gently stir it (not to splash).

Bottle from there.

Much appreciated. All seem well so far. On a unrelated note, when I bottle it should I mix the sugar in the fermentor? Or place it in each bottle?

And if I put it in the fermentor how do I keep all the residue at the bottom from getting all mixed up?

i agree with the others, rack it to a bucket and bottle from there. any food grade bucket that's large enough will work as a bottling bucket.

Back