FG too low, already bottled...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cox8611

Reaction score
So after completely my blueberry beer, the FG is 1.008. Tasting at bottling gives a dry, bitter/sour blueberry kick as opposed to the sea dog blueberry that has the sweet blueberry feel i want.

As far as trying to change what i have... what can you add to make the beer sweeter? I did this batch on my old AG system and the efficiency sucked and has a 1.040 SG. Next time i'll aim for ~1.060 and see where it levels out too.

Any thoughts on how to make it sweeter? or do i just have a sour blueberry beer?

Maybe a little lactose to give it a "creamy" sweet note?

Thuogh, I haven't used it yet myself, I can't really say if that's the right tactic.

Before adding lactose, I would check my mashing temps. What did you mash this at? Remember: lower mash temps lead to lower final gravities. Try mashing a bit higher next time. Of course, a low O.G will lead to a slightly lower F.G. With better efficiency, somewhere in the high 1.040s should be good for this beer.

That said, I don't care for Sea Dog Blueberry, I find it closer to soda pop than beer. So maybe if you like Sea Dog, you might like lactose or Splenda--but I've never added either to my beer.

If your bottleing your not going to be able to get that kind of flavor. You have to stop fermentation to keep the sweet blueberry taste. the yeast will convert all of the fruit sugar, and if you bottle before completion, you will have bottle bombs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back