How do I remove labeling from Stone bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butcher

Reaction score
Ive got an empty bottle of arrogant bastard and I was curious if there was any simple way to remove the label. Scrapping it off with a knife is my only idea. Im not sure what this style of labeling is called.

one of those coarse wire-scrubbies for dishes is what I use for all labels, takes the gunk and the etched (stone style) labels off no problem. Just dunk in some cleaning solution as you go.
:mug:

edit: I guess they are silkscreened... it still works

It is silk screened. I'm not sure about Stone, but I removed some Alesmith screens by soaking in a slightly higher than normal concentration of starsan. Leave it for 24+ hours and it should wipe off.

really strong solution of StarSan is the way to go. Overnight makes it fall off almost!

I've read this before, but StarSan does absolutely nothing for Stone (or other silk-screened labels: Piraat, Red Stripe, etc) for me. Your mileage may vary, but I may as well have done nothing at all for all the effect it had.

CLR calcium, lime, and rust remover worked well, though.

Normal concentration of StarSan and an overnight soak does it sometimes..... Sometimes not so much. Seems to be hit and miss.

This.

It works for many of the Stone bottles, but some of them must use a different kind of ink or something. I usually mix up a strong StarSan solution and just let them soak for a few days to a week...basically I just stick them in a bucket and forget about them for a while. Then when I come back I can just wipe the silkscreen right off the bottle with a sponge usually, and maybe occasionally use the scrubby side on a stubborn spot.

If it's painted on I'm not sure what to tell you. I tried getting the paint off red stripe bottles - with starsan, CLR, muriatic acid, etc. and nothing worked. As for really tough paper labels a straight edge razor knife is the best way.

I tried an overnight soak in CLR and it didn't touch my Red Stripe bottles. Maybe i'll buy some starsan and give it a try.

Ive done the muriatic acid and water mixture, it worked well and didn't take long at all. Worked great on corona bottles, and red stripe, but i haven't tried AB.

be careful with the acid though, that stuff works good but it can get ugly quick. You can get it at the hardware store.

Or, do like I do - take off all paper labels, but don't bother with ones like Stone that are painted on. I like those Stone bottles, and with the Black Diamond caps, no one really expects Arrogant Bastard (or other Stone beers) anyway.

Latest posts

Back