Brewer's Freedom possible in Texas...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimconnors

Reaction score
A short simple bill was submitted in both the House of Representatives and Senate and was today handed off to committee. The bill text is below, but in essence, it allows small brewers (less than 1,000 barrels a year) to sell packaged beer on the brewery site as well as serve it to be consumed on premises as well. Previously, you could be a brewer OR a brewpub, but not both.

If you live in Texas, call, email & snail-mail your representative - tell them its time they give us brewers the rights that they gave winemakers years ago.

:) viva bier!

81(R) HB 1062 - Introduced version - Bill Text

81R6019 AJA-D

By: Burnam H.B. No. 1062

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED

AN ACT
relating to the sale of ale and malt liquor by brewer's permit
holders.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Section 12.01, Alcoholic Beverage Code, is
amended by adding Subsection (c) to read as follows:
(c) The holder of a brewer's permit whose premises is
located in an area where the sale of ale and malt liquor is legal and
who produces at least 1,000 barrels of ale or malt liquor a year may
sell ale and malt liquor manufactured or bottled on the permitted
premises to ultimate consumers:
(1) in unbroken packages for off-premises consumption
in an amount that does not exceed 35,000 gallons annually; and
(2) for consumption on the brewery premises if the
brewery is located in an area where the sale of ale and malt liquor
for on-premises consumption is legal.
SECTION 2. This Act takes effect September 1, 2009.

Didn't they try this last time the legislature was in session? IIRC, the wine and distributing lobbies squashed it.

Still, I'll write my congressman.

Might want to read more closely. It says must brew "at least 1000 barrels", not "less than 1000 barrels."

Exactly. St. Arnold Brewery tried to lead a charge to get this law passed a few years ago and it got crushed by the lobbyists. Never made it out of committee. I'll still call my local representatives in Houston, but it's an uphill battle.

Point taken on the 1,000 barrel part... but at the end of the day, Texas is one of the most imbalanced states when it comes to the ratio of craft beer vs MBC beer sales; Budweiser aka INBEV all but owns the beer market in Texas.

The wineries experienced an increase in sale not just at their locations, but also through other channels; restaurants carry what people ask for. Hopefully it will be passed - and hopefully the result will be more choice. :mug:

Jim

Can we also start a bill that ends the days of Denton being a dry county? :ban: I'm getting tired of driving to Lewisville to get liquor...

That does kinda suck :(
:off:
Luckily I live in Little Elm on the border between Denton and Collin county; we got a new Goody Goody and Market street. Check out Market Street if you can - best selection of craft/micro/foreign brews and they sell loosies (single bottles!).
:mug:

Jim

I will contact my representative and let them know I will be watching their vote on this matter, and how I think its time we took a step in this direction.

Thanks for the heads up.

Latest posts

Back