Organic Malt Liquor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squiggy

Reaction score
want to brew an organic malt liquor (don't ask). here is wat I am thinking.
12.6 Gal batch 90% efficiency, 1.066 OG want the FG to be between 1.004-1.010.
Grain bill
20.6# of organic 2-row pale malt (2-row is what I have, that is why it is not 6)
1# Organic CaraPils
3# Organic Raw Sugar (cane) added to the boil. will use more or less if I have to to hit my pre-boil gravity
thinking of mashing @ 152 and letting it cool over 2 hours (with my system it shoul be at least 5 deg. cooler than 152 after 2 hours.
Hop Bill
5 grams Summit 16.7% AA @ 75min
13 Grm Summit 16.7% AA @ 60min
19.5 IBUs
will ferment with a huge pitch 1056 @ 62-64F raising to 68 @ end of ferment.
Does this sound like a malt Liquor to the rest of yall?

nope, that looks like beer.
Remove the hops altogether, then you'll have malt liquor.

Should get you drukn. And you can hug a tree cuz it's organic!!

But the 90% eff? You need to share your methods...

OK, but are the yeast certified organic? :mug:
I'm just sick of paying 100% or more for "organic" stuff.

when dealing with beer it has to be about 95% organic to be USDA certified organic. since hop hops make up such a small percent of the beer you can get away with them not being organic. since yeast just grows in the wort it does not matter where it came from.

Actually I believe Malt Liqour is made with enzymes. Throw some Beano in there (Is Beano organic?) and let it go. It should take your FG to 1.000 or less. Everything will be alcohol.

You can even make organic "Lite Beer" as well. I believe that's how Miller makes it. Brews a Malt Liqour with enzymes and then waters it down to "Lite".

Rudeboy

Found the AllAboutBeer article of which I speak.

<<Malt liquor is a poor substitute for beer because it is engineered to be stronger than normal. True strong beer is brewed by adding more fermentable goods to the mix, creating more color, taste, and alcohol content. Malt liquor is strong because it uses enzymes to "force ferment" (engineer) the beer, reducing the color and taste but enhancing the alcohol content. The result is tasteless strong beer.

Clement Prechtl, a brewing scientist associated with the Wallerstein Laboratories, let the cat out of the bag in a 1972 technical paper presented to an MBAA brewers Convention in Winnipeg. In his paper, he described the process used to brew malt liquor and light beer. I've taken the liberty of adding to and explaining his technical dissertation.

I quote: "The second and the preferred way [to brew] is to prepare a special brew of about 50 to 60 percent malt [which is 60 percent fermentable], 30 to 40 percent corn grits [about 75 percent fermentable], and 10 to 20 percent dextrose [corn sugar about 86 percent fermentable] to an original gravity (OG) of 12.5 to 14.5 degrees Plato [percent of fermentable sugars in the beginning beer wort] (after which is added) a fungal alpha amylase [an enzyme that changes unfermentable sugar-starches called dextrins into fermentable sugar. These unfermentable dextrins are what give beer its wonderful flavor]. ·Fermentation is carried out at (the high) temperatures (usually) associated with ale fermentation." [The result is a beer with minimal body, or taste, and increased alcohol content].

Prechtl goes on, at great length, to describe US "low calorie" beers (which were invented by the Europeans) as table beer and diet beers (for diabetics; later reinvented by the Japanese as dry beer). Low calorie beer, it turns out, is weak malt liquor, with an original gravity of 8 or 9 Plato (instead of 12 or 14 above). The result has even less taste than malt liquor, but the only real difference is in alcohol content and body.

The first light beer (Gablinger's Diet Beer) was produced by New York's Rheingold Brewery in 1967. It didn't sell. Gablinger's had 107 calories per 12-ounce bottle, almost all of them (93) from alcohol. Budweiser (itself not particularly taste enhanced) is a normal beer (about 150 calories) with that same alcohol content but with more dextrins. It is much more flavorful and satisfying. The first successful light beer (in 1972) was an offshoot of Meister Brau Lite of Chicago, which also was unsuccessful in 1967. It was bought by Miller, somewhat reformulated, and introduced as Miller Lite. The rest, as they say, is history.

>>

I'm just sick of paying 100% or more for "organic" stuff.

I buy organic grains and hops from Seven Bridges for about the same price as non organic ingredients I buy from other shops. I just bought a 55 lb sack of Gambrinus organic 2-row for $39.20 :p :rockin:

Back