Diacetyl-rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axegod

Reaction score
Ok,

OG: 1.050 -expected FG of 1.012 using same ingredients/yeast/temps as last batch.
Primary: 2 weeks @ 50F. I don't really lager - just primary and secondary @ about 50 and 45 F for a total of 4-5 weeks.

Heres the scenario:

I racked into secondary after giving a diacetyl rest for 2 days at 60F.
Now, one week later the gravity is 1.019.....I didnt measure the gravity when racking to secondary (I was in a rush) and I obviously didn't have the d-rest for enough time.

Right now, the beer is great tasting - no off flavours.

The question is : Should I do another diacetyl rest to bring down the FG - or should I just left it ferment out for another week or two?

Cheers.

My thought is that if you don't taste diacetyl, then no need for the d-rest. I'd just let it finish at secondary temps. (You didn't mention the yeast used but some lager yeasts don't produce much, if any, diacetyl anyway.)

Yooper Chick said:
My thought is that if you don't taste diacetyl, then no need for the d-rest. I'd just let it finish at secondary temps. (You didn't mention the yeast used but some lager yeasts don't produce much, if any, diacetyl anyway.)

I was kinda thinking the same thing:if it ain't broke - leave it be.

The yeast was : 2272 North American Lager

Thanks.

2272 really don't need a diacetyl rest but I'd be more concerned with the gravity readings. OG of 1050 and a FG of 1019 seems to me to leave your brew a bit high on FG.
I'm poor at math this AM but 2272 has an attenuation of 73% and looking through my notes of the brews I have done with this yeast I find I have got down to 1010 from 1042.
Our ratio seems the same and my brews did turn out ok.
Still a fg of 1019 would seem to be a bit sweet. Did it taste sweet to you?

Axgod said:"The question is : Should I do another diacetyl rest to bring down the FG - or should I just left it ferment out for another week or two?"

Hi! I'm new to this board, but old to homebrewing, so I'll butt in with my 2 cents. :)
wyeast 2272 is a great flocculater, so there may not be enough left in suspension to finish the job. What I do in such cases is pitch from 5 to 10% kraeusen from the same wort or a starter from a small brewing as close to the original as possible. This usually solves the problem. Ths yeast wll attenuate up to 78% ! I love it.

cheers...

Thanks for the replies.

Boo Boo - It is sweet and I made almost the exact recipe and ended with an Fg of 1.012.

I think I'll leave it for another week and may add more yeast from a starter if need be. I am glad I have some cultured WY 2272 in my fridge.

Welcome aboard Old Farmer !

Cheers.

I'd leave it at a higher temperture to get the gravity down. Most of the flavor has been acheived by now anyway, and at this stage you don't have to worry about any esters or fusels from the higher ferm temp.

Back