Need to dry malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gypsyhead

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just a quick question my gf actually brought up when I was drying home-malted GF grains for my last batch: I'd been taking up her oven (and using her electricity) for about 2 days trying to get my malt to dry at the right temps, when she just asked, "if you're just going to add water right back to it, what's the point of getting it all dry?" I covered my ass explaining about how roasted/toasted malts have different characteristics, but... Honestly do I gain anything like flavor/aroma compounds by drying my base malt?

Just to clarify, I'm just referring to grains in a Homebrew setting that could go from sprouting vessel to mash tun in a few seconds, obviously there would be storage issues with wet grain.

Thanks

Mashing freshly sprouted grain was normal practice for thousands of years. It works.

You can make caramelized malts in a couple hours, starting with wet malted grain.

Yes, kilning malt to dry it produces a different flavor than if you were to just immediately mash it.

I'd say that kilning the grain allows the rootlets to dry and is easier break off, cause you probably don't want that in your mash, since it won't contribute anything desirable.

I guess it'd help more to see what applies to barley.

Back