I may drink it all before it fully carbonates!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
Okay, well perhaps not. Made an ordinary bitter for the first time. Split 10 gallon batch with 2 yeasts. S-04 and US-05. The latter was so I could use the yeast cake in a barley wine.

Anyway, the 5 gallons with the US-05 was kegged Friday evening. Set it to 6 psi (about 40F in the fridge) and left it. Also ran out of gas on Sunday. I could not resist tapping it yesterday regardless. Yes, still pretty flat and quite cloudy but damn if I did not have 4 pints anyway! It is not like me to drink a beer before its time but there was just something compelling enough to make it enjoyable already.

Must be my new water source!

:ban:

I often sneak a couple of pints of bitter after only one week in the bottle. Heck, it will already have been in the fermenter for a month, and low carbonation is right for the style, so what the hell! ;)

I have a friend.....who is a member here (won't say his name), who has been known to sneak some pints out of secondary!!

I am guilty of drinking from the keg to early also. Once i get it in the keg and on the co2 it is very hard to resist that beer! :ban: Now i just need to get enough kegs so I cant drink them early.

SD

That whistling you just heard is the steam escaping from Revvy's ears. :D

My first batch was supposed to bottle condition until 10/31/08. Guess what I only have 5 bottles left now ;) I definitely started drinking it before due date.

...and low carbonation is right for the style, so what the hell! ;)

I'm still trying to get a handle on what constitutes appropriately low carbonation for these styles. It could be properly carbed already, I dunno. It has no head even pouring straight down the middle and only the slightest fizz. Guess the only way to really get it down is to go straight to the UK and drink a few thousand pints for research purposes. You know, til I get the feel for it.

;)

I'm still trying to get a handle on what constitutes appropriately low carbonation for these styles. It could be properly carbed already, I dunno. It has no head even pouring straight down the middle and only the slightest fizz. Guess the only way to really get it down is to go straight to the UK and drink a few thousand pints for research purposes. You know, til I get the feel for it.

;)

Hehe! Well, one week in the bottle is NOT proper carbonation, even for a bitter. Even if you went to the UK and drank a thousand pints, you'd need to drink a few hundred up north, then a few hundred down south, then a few hundred in the midlands. The style varies greatly between regions with regards to the size of the head. Personally, I am from the south, so I am fine with a very low carb, and very little head, but with good lacing. Northern bitter usually has a more full bodied head. All is good, but that opinion could start a civil war if i said it in England, in the wrong pub ;)

Hehe! Well, one week in the bottle is NOT proper carbonation, even for a bitter.

Well, this is kegged. Far from bottle conditioned and even further from the cask! Certainly not CAMRA approved. Regardless, it has no head, no lacing yet, but it is still quite drinkable.

Even if you went to the UK and drank a thousand pints, you'd need to drink a few hundred up north, then a few hundred down south, then a few hundred in the midlands. The style varies greatly between regions with regards to the size of the head.

I figured as much thus the few thousand pints. Must have a fair sampling from ALL regions! Not to mention If I am there I must go to Scotland (a few thousand more pints) and the Ireland... :drunk:

Or maybe I can just go to Ohio to get that Southern English style down...

:ban:

Back