New Equipment and Possible Uses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SchmidtyBeer

Reaction score
Being a chef for a living I have incorporated a few different tools into my homebrewing that I thought I would share. I have not seen anyone use either one of these tools, so I thought it might spark some interest.

Immersion Cirulator - This is a piece of equipment typically used in labs. Chefs have converted them over to kitchens in order to maintain a constant temperature to achieve perfectly cooked products. Immersion circulators work by running liquid through a heating/cooling element and recirculating it back through the mixture. Polyscience clams that their immersion cirulators can hold any temperature between +5 degress C to 200 degrees C. So for brewing this opens up many usages; boiling wort at a constant temp, steeping grans, mashing, etc. The only downfall is that they come at a heafty price $800-$1450, but some members of the forum seem to have a bit of extra cash for toys:cross:.
JB Prince
12101_84.jpg

Chinoise - This is a much simpler device. A chinoise is a fine mesh conical sieve used to strain sauces, stocks, soups, etc. Chinoise are much finer then the average home strainer, there for they will remove much more sediment after a wort boil. I almost always use one to strain my wort. Chinoise range anywhere from $40 - $150. Check ebay!
JB Prince

21Y7545KX5L_SL500_AA280.jpg

So you may or may not want to use one of these, but either way I hope it sparked a little interest! Cheers:mug:

I have a feeling it will not be a long before we start seeing the immersion cirulator on people setups. How much volume can that thing handle?

I recently found custard cups with lids at target, I think they were about $7 for a set of four. They were the perfect size to hold up to about 3oz of pellet hops. Like many of us I brew outside and its nice to have hops and water salts organized, pre-measured in cups, and sealed so the wind won't blow it away.

Back