Bought 6 ball locks but have a friend with pin locks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
I have ball lock kegs but found a good deal on pin lock kegs. Should I buy them or just look for more ball locks? Is it easy to switch between the two?

benzy4010 said:
I have ball lock kegs but found a good deal on pin lock kegs. Should I buy them or just look for more ball locks? Is it easy to switch between the two?

If your gas and beer lines have swivel nuts instead of barbs it's super easy. I switch between sanke couplers and pin locks pretty easily.

If your gas and beer lines have swivel nuts instead of barbs it's super easy. I switch between sanke couplers and pin locks pretty easily.

That is what I do to. I have 6 of each type of cornies, several Sanke's as well. And I have the swivel nut setup too, can switch in no time from one kind to the other.

pb

How long will beer in a keg last once tapped and in a keezer under proper pressure? I'm not a fast drinker so I'd like to build a keezer and have a variety but only if they last a while once tapped

How long will beer in a keg last once tapped and in a keezer under proper pressure? I'm not a fast drinker so I'd like to build a keezer and have a variety but only if they last a while once tapped

As long as you keep the CO2 on it, it should last a good while. If you get nervous you can always always call some friends over to help drain it. ;)

pb

IMHO, pick a type of keg and stick with it. You may want to make things like jumpers, and line cleaners, just have a keg full of star san; it can be a pain in the butt having different types of fittings.

Cornykeg.com and I think one or two other online shops sell $10 conversion kits, where you can screw off the pin lock post and replace it with a ball-lock one. The flare/swivel option would work perfectly well too, but this is another option.

Note that the pin lock kegs are fatter but shorter, make sure that the pin locks will fit equally well in whatever your kegerator configuration may be.

And assuming that you keep the kegs pressurized on CO2, they will basically stay fresh just as long as if they were in capped bottles.

Back