O2 for both starter and wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StewJo

Reaction score
I'm going to try O2 injection. I use a yeast starter.

Should I use O2 injection in just the yeast starter, or both the yeast starter and the wort?

I do both because I don't think you can dissolve sufficient O2 in a one or two qt starter for a five g batch. I have no problems with this, but if some knowledgeable person convinces me otherwise, I may change my mind.

-a.

I was under the impression that oxygenation was just to get the yeast started, and once the yeast are no longer dormant, the O2 is not needed.

But if you oxygenate both and are getting good results, then that would seem the safest bet. I'll do it that way unless someone else weighs in.

Thanks ajf!

I do both as well and I'm happy with the results. One tip though, always have a backup O2 cylinder and take off the regulator when not using it. I left mine on and when to aerate wort one day and pssst, then nothing. I now always have a backup cylinder, just like I do with propane.

It makes for a bummer brew day when both run out and you are not prepared. :)

Is the real O2 really that much better than pumping air into the mix? I would think it has the same effect it just takes longer. I'm on a budget and I'm leaning toward the cheaper air pump with filter and stone setup. What do you guys and gals think?

I believe the answer is that air is 20% O2, so this limits the maximum oxygen you can get into the wort no matter how much air you pump in. Whereas O2 from a bottle is 100% O2, so you get five times the oxygen saturation.

I'm not convinced that O2 injection is really an improvement-- but hey, I'll try it and see :)

It really has most to do with pitching rates, pitch a ton of healthy yeasties and oxygenation really isn't that big an issue

Bellybuster said:
It really has most to do with pitching rates, pitch a ton of healthy yeasties and oxygenation really isn't that big an issue

I agree. I have found that pitching a ton of healthy yeasties is one key to good beer-- which is why I use the yeast starter.

The idea of trying O2 injection in my starter is to get that ton of healthy yeasties :D

So what I think you are saying is if O2 injection works well in the starter, its really not necessary in the wort.

O2 is needed during the growth phase of both the starter and the wort and is needed even with sufficient pitching rates.

Back