Quick temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rl1373

Reaction score
My beer is in the basement of my house which is about 60-62 degrees. I know this is too cold for fermentation so I bought a rubbermaid container and a adjustable fish tank heater. I have a batch of wheat beer that was pitched with SAF Brew WB-06. I also have a batch of edworts apelfwein. I have both in the rubbermaid container filled with water. The temperature has been a steady 68 degrees with no changes since its been down there. Is this an acceptable temp? The thermostat is adjustable so can crank it up a little if need be.

thanks again for the help..

My beer is fermenting quite nice in my 60 - 62*f ambient basement.

I dunno, perhaps your wheat yeast needs the extra temperature, but my US-05 does
fine at my temps.

According to this, the recommended fermentation temperatureis 59-75F.

Hope this helps.

I ferment most of my ales at 60-64 degrees, with one occasionally at 68 degrees. That's the fermentation temperature, so the room is usually a couple of degrees cooler than that. I have used an aquarium heater setup for the fermentation that needed to be at 68 degrees, which worked fine. Most ale yeasts are nice when fermented in the low-mid 60s, and more estery at higher temperatures so I shoot for the low end of the yeast strain's optimimum range.

Back