Question about the size of a carboy.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PearlJamNoCode

Reaction score
I'm thinking about making a few half batches of lagers because I have a small refrigerator that I might be able to use for fermentation and lagering.

I have a limited headspace in it so if anyone has a 3 gallon carboy lying around and wouldn't mind measuring its diameter and its height I'd really appreciate it.

Could be nobody has anything that size. If you still don't have a reply in the morning, give it a bump again so it's on the new posts screen during the business day (don't worry, nobody will flame you or anything!).

Okay... thanks for the tip. Worst comes to worst I guess I could just PM the guy from Austin Homebrew since that's where I'll probably be purchasing from anyway.

I have two tips that might help you out:

First, try posing your question on the mead board. You'll find more there that use three gallon carboys. Most brewers don't use them. Unless I start making meads, I doubt I'll ever own one.

Second, give it more than three hours from the time you pose your question until the time you post impatient responses to yourself. This is an active forum, but don't expect that anyone just sits around all night waiting for questions to answer.

TL

Here are the spec's for a 3 gallon Better Bottle off of their website:

Design:
Overall – 19 cm (7.5") square 49.1 cm (19 1/3") high
Neck – ID 45 mm (1.77") / OD 55 mm crown
Volume – Nominal 3 US Gallons (11.4 liters) [ filled to bottom of neck ~11.6 liters]
Weight – ~0.68 Kg (~1.5 lbs) empty and ~12.1 Kg (~26.6 lbs) filled
Pressure/Vacuum Limits – 0.14 bar (2 psi) and -0.05 bar (-0.75 psi) at 25° C (77° F) – Though very sturdy, this square carboy is not designed for significant positive or negative pressures.
Temperature Limits – -30 to 60°C (-22 to 140°F)

I am still looking for the glass carboy dimensions.

Cheers

Found this on eBrew:

3 Gallon Glass Carboy
Height = 16.5"
Diameter = 10"
Height with AIRLOCK attached = 22.75"

Not sure if the airlock would really add six inches to the hight, but you could just measure your airlock to find out the height difference.

Cheers

WOP31 said:
Found this on eBrew:

3 Gallon Glass Carboy
Height = 16.5"
Diameter = 10"
Height with AIRLOCK attached = 22.75"

Not sure if the airlock would really add six inches to the hight, but you could just measure your airlock to find out the height difference.

Cheers

Just measured my 3 gal glass carboy.
Height is 16.5"
diameter is closer to 9" than 10"
circumference is ~28.75"

Stopper and 3 peice airlock adds 3.5-4"

Back