Honey??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plumeja

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a ale kit next and I was thinking I would use honey as the sugar and flavor. When using the honey in an extract kit I would just have to make sure the gravity would be about 1050 or so. At lest that is how I see it. I guess I would end up with a honey ale that way.

You can use honey, but don't expect much, or really any flavor from it. Honey almost completely ferments out, especially if used in the boil. Add it at flame-out for the most hope in saving the flavor. If you want honey flavor, 1/8-1/2 a pound of honey malt for a 5 gallon batch. A little honey malt goes a long way.

Honey malt really needs to be mashed, but you will extract some of the flavor by steeping.for the flavor.

For honey, I would add it after the main ferment has been done. Dissolve it in hot water (about 160 F to ensure it is sanitized), and add it to the fermenter around day 5 (or 3 or 7, not really critical, but make sure most of the main ferment is done).

Honey malt really needs to be mashed, but you will extract some of the flavor by steeping.for the flavor.

For honey, I would add it after the main ferment has been done. Dissolve it in hot water (about 160 F to ensure it is sanitized), and add it to the fermenter around day 5 (or 3 or 7, not really critical, but make sure most of the main ferment is done).
Agree with the time addition, but do not warm it, will loose too many aromatics. No need to worry about sanitizing either. If it pools on the bottom, don't worry, the yeast will find it.

I'd treat the honey as a late LME addition. Stir it til there's no more left on the bottom. Just don't whip it to a froth at this point. Just stir easy.

+1 on the other comments. Honey is good to dry a beer out and definitely ferments out. If you add too much you will get a bit of wine flavor. Also if you add more than 1/2 lb to a typical gravity beer get ready for a longer primary. If you add 1-2lbs pounds to an ale make sure you leave it to primary at least 4 weeks, but of course the hydromter always tells the tale.

Back