Mild or bitter? That is the question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pesi

Reaction score
I would like to brew one of these to use as a yeast starter for future brews. I bottle condition and I don't want to tie up too many bottles that will need to be stored for a while.

My question to you all is which style would reach its peak flavor sooner?

Will be using wlp007

Thanks in advance for the help

I'd look at your yeast choice first and then determine what to brew from there. Since you'll be using wlp007, ordinary/special bitter is the clear choice, as it will ferment out too dry and neutral for a good English mild. Turnaround on both styles is about the same.

The difference is pretty minimal. If you're worried about tying up bottles, just brew whatever you'll drink faster. Mild should sustain its peak for longer, if that matters.

Both styles are extremely fast going from grain to glass. I agree with bierhaus15, a mild should have some residual sweetness and wlp007 (or 1098 in my case since all I really conveniently have access to is wyeast) can finish pretty dry. You could compensate with a rather high mash temp and a fair amount of crystal and chocolate malt, but that's entirely up to you.

Back