Water bath for fv

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doghouse-gav

Reaction score
I want to set up a water bath for my brewing in the garage.i have an aquarium heater but in unsure how much water to put in the container housing the fv. Any help ?

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Aquarium heaters are designed to work with certain amounts of water. Look up what heater and model you have and you should get a recommended aquarium size for that heater. So if its made for a 5-10 gallon aquarium thats how much water you should use.

I use an aquarium heater in the winters -
I fill my water bath to the level of the beer in the fermenter (I have a deep water bath!) Then I let the temp controller flip the aquarium heater on and off as needed.

Will the aquarium heater not switch itself on and off anyway? I thought they were thermostatically controlled?

Yes, but they're usually set to something like 78F (25C) - WAY too warm for yeast! Look at the website for your yeast, the low end of the working range is best, because the active phase of fermentation will raise the temp of your wort by 5-10F (3-6C)...

The heater I have ranges from 20c to 28c so if I set at 20c would that be ok?

Back