SSR Failure Temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigscience

Reaction score
I finally got around to test driving my separate HERMS Heat exchanger this past weekend in anticipation for the maiden voyage this weekend. I used water only so the flow rates and thermodynamics weren't apples to apples but it was still fun to see what it could do.

One of the temperatures I monitored was that of the SSR during operation. I want to have an enclosed SSR with only a heat sinc so it doesn't stick out the back of the control panel. Right now I have an 11x7x14 (~1000 cu in) metal box with the sinc mounted to the base. I put a TC on the underside of the fin that connects to the SSR and the readings maxed out at 120F under full load (I'm running a 1500W element at 110VAC) Since this could be ambient temp in some parts of the country at times, I figured it was ok. Does anyone know the approximate temp at which SSRs fail? How are these things normally used in industrial applications? I'd like to keep it contained within a case and not use a fan if possible while also not frying one. Thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Back