Collar to Feezer mounting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubuddaman

Reaction score
Ok so I have read alot about liquid nails, stripping's, and silicone. Also Attatching the lid to the collar then hinging the collar to the door. I was wondering if I have some all Weather silicone in a caulk tube and the route I was taking was to silicone the collar to the freezer then the lid and hinges to the collar. If I use the silicone to attatch the collar will I have an issue with losing any cold air or will it work just as good as the liquid nails i do plan on using the freezer again if it lasts over time and I get older the top of the freezer is plastic so scraping the silicone off wont be an issue. Will I lose cold air, will it insulated, or keep the cold air in the freezer. Im sure that it will hold to the top of the freezer, just worried about the cold loss issue...

Also I will have pics coming soon and hopfully it stacks up to some of the awsome keezers that have helped me with my build.

Thanks

As long as you don't leave gaps it should seal up fine. Either way you might want to grab a sheet of foam from your local hardware store and insulate your collar.

Oh yeah definetly have the insulation. Havent been sparing anything on this project. Wife Doesn't like the time I have been spending on this project. The insulation is a thermal barriar and has an R-Rating of 3.25 per 1/2" used. I doubled up, and have one reflective side glued and facing the wood with the other piece glued to the first piece and the reflective sheet facing th inside of the freezer box. I have used 2x6 red wood, with the front top and botton edges stained with min-wax red sedona stain. Before I used the foamboard adhesive, and glued the insulation, I used 2 coats of Thompsons water sealer on the inside of the collar, then I siliconed the inside edges/ corners with that weather proof silicone. I just want to try to make a Keezer up to par as some of these other pro's..

Pics to follow...........

Back