Can I buy priming sugar at the super market?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saeroner

Reaction score
I'm all out of the sugar that came with the kit i purchased (got thrown out). It was i think 4.5oz of "priming sugar" for my 5 gal IPA batch

Can i buy this at my local supermarket? Not table sugar but i'm guessing the recipe kits use corn sugar?

How would I measure out 4.5 oz without a scale though? Do they sell corn sugar at the store?

^ Thanks

that last part of the calculator says "Beer Temperature" This amount of "residual CO2" depends upon the temperature of the fermentation.

Not sure how to go by that? i would say 67f degrees on average but it was a swamp cooler so it might have gotten to 71f also it has been cold crashing for 4 days.

If your beer is at "room" temperture when you bottle, you should be fine. Don't think the temp has that much effect.

Thanks ^ No it's normally pretty cold as I just took the carboy out of the fridge. Every time i usually bottle about 2 hours after taking it out of the fridge. Always used the 4.5 oz pack of sugar that came with and never had a huge problem.

Use table sugar. I use it all the time and can't tell any difference.

The temperature to use in the calculator is the highest temperature the beer has seen after fermentation ended. If you fermented at 65 and then cold crashed, you would use 65. If you fermented at 65 and let it sit at 75 after fermentation was over, you would use 75.

At higher temperatures the beer holds less CO2 in solution. After fermentation is over and you cool it, you do not get additional CO2 in solution as the yeast is no longer creating it, so you use the highest temp.

^ Thank you. I used 75f as i let it sit at room temp for 2 weeks after 5 days of the crazy yeast keg party the yeastys had going on - nomsayin.

Back