Siphoning after primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wassail_boy

Reaction score
I'm making a batch of cider using unpasteurized juice from a local orchard, and I'm experimenting with using only the wild yeasts already present in the juice. It's still fermenting in glass jars with airlocks, and I'll bottle it in another week or so. What I'm wondering is: when I go to bottle the cider, will it be necessary for me to siphon the liquid and leave the sediment undisturbed? I don't really want a clear final product, I like the cloudy "unfiltered" look, so I would siphon it only if NOT doing so would seriously affect the tast. If the sediment is really yeasty, then obviously it needs to be siphoned. But if it's mostly just apple particulates, then I would actually prefer that it stays in the product. If anyone here has experience letting the cider ferment naturally, and knows whether it needs to be siphoned, I would appreciate some advice.

The sediment is yeast & apple particulates combined. You really don't want either in your finished product for the simple reason that they can both cause off flavours in time. The yeast sediment, while actually good for you(B vitamins & such) tastes a bit bitter. The apple particulates can (with time & lower ABV) decompose & cause off flavours...

That having been said, the English make a cider called "scrumpy" that is chock full of both yeast & apple sediment, and it's a very tasty product; not sure about how well it ages, nor about how much time you're talking about, but as for me, I'd rack it (siphon off the sediment) before bottling. IMHO, it just makes for a superior end product; besides, if you bottle condition (carbonate), you'll get a little bit of sediment anyway.
Regards, GF.

Thanks, GF, that was exactly what I wanted to know. I think I'll be siphoning it for now until I feel adventurous enough to try out that "scrumpy."

Back