Do I need to add yeast after using gelatin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldWorld

Reaction score
I searched the net and couldn't get a definitive answer. Most forum posts say yes...others say it isn't needed.

I am not racking to a secondary...I suspect there will be plenty of yeast to get the job done...I'm just a little worried because I'm hoping this stout will be slighty green and drinkable for X-mas.

Ittook it out of the fridge and boy did it get muddy again...Lots of haze. I intend to bottle soon. Suppose I let the gelatin do the work for a few days and then bottle?

Transfer to the bottle bucket should rouse up enough happy cells I would think...

Well I think I'll have to go to the store and get some gelatin...I hope I can convince my vegetarian friend to drink the beer. I think there is a fine line between eating flesh and adding it to beer...We are only talking about a tiny amount...

I want this beer to be bottled and carbonated for x-mas...I think it will be a bit green but will still be smooth sipping due to it's low gravity.

Don't worry about your vegetarian friend. The whole point of adding the geletin is that it drops out and takes all the crap with it, then you rack off of it when you package.

Is it possible that gelatin could reach metallic flavors from my keg? I used it in my secondary in the keg and then cold crashed for 4 days before tapping the keg. It tasted great at first, but after a week or so (once beer is noticeably clearer) it tastes a bit metallic. Used wyeast 1762 abbey.

Back