Finally got some honest reviews!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffaloSabresBrewer

Reaction score
Had a guy I work with and his buddys give my beer a try. I was promised brutally honest reviews without holding anything back. They got a 2 liter of Eds Wheat. I called them and asked them how it was.
"Good", they said.
"Any thoughts?"
"Ya, they said it tasted like Steel Reserve"

Wha? How should I take this? Isnt Steel Reserve a lager? Perhaps this because this is coming from a bunch of BMC drinkers. Anyone else have a similar experiences?

My dad told me my Rye Pale Ale tasted like Killians Irish Red. I Think the color was similar. He also told me my hefe was very heavy. It finished at 1.008.

Don't use BMC drinkers for feedback is the lesson I learned.

Steel Reserve is a nasty tasting malt liquor. Even after 12 beers I can't drink that crap... Sorry to hear that they thought yours was like that.. Time to find someone that knows beer to try it.

Yea Steel Reserve is 8.1% malt liquor. Think of if you distilled BMC just a little to bump up the alcohol content. Ugh I'm getting a headache just thinking about it. I can't believe I used to drink that crap....

On a better note my buddy said that "I can only choke down most beers. The only beers that I have actually liked were Heineken and your beer."
I'll take that I guess.

I had a friend tell me that the black and tan I just brewed taste like guiness. It is way to hoppy to taste anyting like guiness. I'm guessing that because it is dark is why they said that.

We all have seen the BMC drinkers say the first thing that pops into there head when "reviewing" homebrew. and base opinions strictly on color because most BMC tast exactly the same in varying degrees of nastyness. however, there point could be valid. They might just taste small things that we are used to!

I always keep in mind my goal for the brew and the audience giving the review. If I am brewing to please a BMC audience, then those type of comments are completely relevant. Otherwise, the information value is typically minimal.

Heck, I know some folks that can tell you exactly what their impression of the beer is going to be just based on appearance/color and their preconceptions before taking a single sip.

People I work with are all anxious to try my beer, they all salt and lime there BMC. No way in heck am I giving them a single drop!

Back