Fermentation started out warm.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gats

Reaction score
I just made my second brew. It's a 1.076 OG IPA (extract). Due to a piece of crap thermometer, I unknowingly pitched at about 76 F (white labs cali ). The bubbling was intense after a few hours- thats when I saw the temp on the thermometer. I packed some ice around the bucket but it took 10-12 hours to get it down to 70 F.
Should I expect any extreme off flavors from this or did I fix it in time? If I do get off flavors will plenty of time help clean them up?

You're fine. That's at the upper end of white labs cali common, and not too horribly over its california ale v, not sure which one you used. You caught it quickly and did good.

Crack one of your first brews if its ready and start planning your third. :)

I doubt the beer will have any noticeable off flavors. I have started many beers off in the mid-70s before cooling them down once fermentation starts.

I wouldn't worry about it, my last brew was around 75 degrees for a day or so due to the activity and it turned out great.

You're fine. That's at the upper end of white labs cali common, and not too horribly over its california ale v, not sure which one you used. You caught it quickly and did good.

Crack one of your first brews if its ready and start planning your third. :)

Thanks! That's good to know.

My first brew was a Brewers Best witbier. It came out pretty good but I'm used to Allagash White which is fantastic. I'm trying a clone for my next brew.

Back