Recipe Thought / Peated Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geckholm

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of peaty scotches, so I thought I would try to come up with a recipe for a stout that has some peaty flavorings. This would be my first recipe, so any thoughts would really be appreciated! Here is what I am planning on doing:

10 lbs 2-Row Malt
3 lbs Chocolate Malt
1 lb Crystal Malt 80L
1 lb Peat Smoked Malt
6 oz Black Patent
English Ale Yeast
.5 oz Columbus at 60 Min
1 oz Golding at 15 Min

Thoughts?

With 3 lbs of chocolate malt and another lb of peat, I think your 15 minute hop addition will be totally hidden, so I'd leave that out. I'd drop the EKG ad reduce the chocolate to around 1-1.5 lbs, but otherwise it looks good. Someone will tell you yo never use more than 1 oz peat in your beer, and someone else will tell you 1lb is for mama's boys, and that you need to brew https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f77/100-peated-ale-276443/ Anyway, people differ wildly in their opinions of peated malt. I'm in the heavy camp. I used it at 1lb/gallon in a stout with cherries, and it was great, if maybe a litle over the edge. Never brewed the peated SMASH though.

I used 1lb in a porter I did a while back, it tasted awesome. It had a nice chocolate front with a briney peat after taste that stuck with you all the way up to your next drink.

I agree that your 15 minute hops probably wont come through... But you never know, they might. And 3lb of chocolate? Beautiful.

I say go for it as is.

Thanks! looking for a malty flavor, so I am not too concerned if the Golding doesn't come through very much, though I hope it comes through a little. I've got a regular old ale set to brew in a weekend or so, think I'll try this one next month!

I went to World of Beer a couple weeks ago, they had a peated bear on draft, so I tried it. No need to make this beer, I like peat in my scotch, not so much my beer....

Latest posts

Back