newb freak out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OilySheen

Reaction score
So my first batch had the stopper and airlock knocked out sometime between the last time I checked the carboy and the three days later when I checked again. I had it sitting in front of a fan to keep it cool in a basement that had previously been flooded the month prior and was still musty and funky smelling. So out it went, that was before I read the never dump you beer thread. That was just for history.

Second batch went just fine and I find myself enjoying it now as a matter of fact.

That brings me to my third batch. Kind of my own recipe, based it off this apple pie thread, and is my goal. Did some different things to make it taste completely different than what it should look like. Anyway, today I went down to take a look at the carboy. It's been a week since brew day and it's been sitting on a 67F concrete floor. But I noticed when looking at it a few long white streams moving their way down to the krausen ring but not yet to the beer. Should have taken pics.... I know...

I had planned to leave this in primary three weeks. But based on the first batch being pitched I didn't want to take a chance on this one as I have a bit more into it since it is my own and not a kit. Now I know some may say it may have been yeast but it was pure white, and secondly I pitched dry yeast into a dry carboy and poured the wort through a funnel into the carboy. So unless it's a wild yeast I don't know how yeast would have gotten above the beer. Anyway, I transferred to secondary and plan to leave it there for the next 4-5 weeks.

I had to sneak a taste, oh man if it does get better from here it isn't going to last long once it hits bottles. So far it looks like it hit right at 5% which is what I was going for. Two more weeks til the apples I want to use are ready for picking.

i doubt the fan does anything but circulates contaminates. i wouldn't use it if i were you.

Just keep in mind that every time you open the fermenter to sneak a taste, you increase the probability of introducing an infection. Be patient and leave your beers alone, especially in primary. Good luck.

EDIT: You snuck a taste when you racked. My bad. Nevermind.
:mug:

Back