Used Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

noggins

Reaction score
So bottles/cans/etc have a deposit on them that is built into the price. You can return the bottle and get your 10 cent deposit back, or take it to a recycling location and get 5 cents for it, or you can keep it and put homebrew in it, or you can throw it away, or throw it at your neighbors dog.

Why does everyone believe it's different for kegs? If breweries were really losing out on this, they would charge more for the deposit so...

discuss:

NY, its a little different, you basically have to give them every bit of information about yourself + (i dont remember the exact amount but 100 - 150ish deposit) + your first born child.

The deposit on the bottles was to encourage recycling no? The breweries don't actually get the same bottles back and reuse them. For kegs thats the idea. If you keep the keg the brewery has to go buy a new one. As long as the deposit is enough to cover a new keg then no problem. I believe that new kegs cost more than the $50 deposit charged in some places. I could be totally off base though. Just my 2 pennies.

If you want to steal the kegs, do it. Don't justify it.

I didn't.

Oh don't get me wrong, if I can find a cheap used keg, I'm buying it, and sleeping great that night; heck I'd steal one if I knew I wouldn't get caught. I've seen a couple laying in backyards that I nearly jumped their fence and grabbed, just wasn't too sure if I would be able to hoist it over the fence.

Just trying to stir up some discussion on the topic..

Oh don't get me wrong, if I can find a cheap used keg, I'm buying it, and sleeping great that night; heck I'd steal one if I knew I wouldn't get caught. I've seen a couple laying in backyards that I nearly jumped their fence and grabbed, just wasn't too sure if I would be able to hoist it over the fence.

Just trying to stir up some discussion on the topic..

There's been PLENTY of discussion on this topic, and it comes down to only an argument of morals. If you choose to keep a keg illegally, I would suggest NOT talking about it on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back