Single use no-rinse sanitizers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keelanfish

Reaction score
I'm trying to put together some gifts for a few friends that have expressed an interest in my homebrews and the process. I thought cider kits would be a good start using the 1 gallon glass jugs that apple juice comes in as the main ingredient and fermenter. Basically do something simple like EdWorts Apfelwein. For bottling I'm going to suggest plastic soda bottles and just using a 3' piece of tubing with a tubing clamp for filling. Probably carb with a carb tab or something like that.

I've got it all figured out, but I'm stuck on how to advise a total novice on sanitizing (tubing, airlocks, bottles, caps, etc.) I experimented with boiling and microwaving each individual item and ended up with a bunch of mishapen plastic. I'm hesitant to suggest bleach, but unless there is another small quantity pre packaged sanitizer on the market, I might be stuck with that. So, does anyone know of a individual use sanitizer that you can mix with a gallon or so of water? Any other ideas?

STAR-SAN

1 oz + 5 gallons water = 5 gallons of santizer that lasts for weeks. You'd just have to re-package it in single-serving 'shots'.

otherwise, bleach is the santizier everyone will have, but they gotta dilute it and rinse it!

Back