Hops Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stellaontap

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all.

I am about to buy some bulk hops (supplier only sells 5 lb. packages). The hops will be in pellet form. I want to buy two varieties and would like suggestions on what you would stock.

Thanks

That's an awful lot of one variety to have around. I take it you can't order from hops direct? If I had to choose only two it would probably be Chinook & Amarillo.

Yeah, it is a lot of hops to have around so I don't want to buy something that I don't like. I have brewed a California Common 4 times and really like it. I used Northern Brewer hops in it. I just brewed a beer with Saaz but it won't be ready for a few weeks.

Are Northern Brewer and Saaz versatile enough to keep a rather large supply of? Also, what would the shelf life be if I kept them in the freezer?

Eric

5lbs is really big bag unless you brew 4 times a week every week.

If it were me, I would go Cascade and E. Kent Goldings.

That way you can do American and English styles. You can buy anything you need in smaller qty from the LHBS.

Yeah, it is a lot of hops to have around so I don't want to buy something that I don't like. I have brewed a California Common 4 times and really like it. I used Northern Brewer hops in it. I just brewed a beer with Saaz but it won't be ready for a few weeks.

Are Northern Brewer and Saaz versatile enough to keep a rather large supply of? Also, what would the shelf life be if I kept them in the freezer?

Eric

If you can vacuum seal them they will keep for quite a while in the freezer. at least a year, maybe even two.

Back