UV Freezer Bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigHops

Reaction score
I'm looking for these freezer bags that have the UV light protection. Has a silver lining to block UV light. The local brew store has a good selection of local grown hops and this is what they use exclusively..

I typically just use the standard vacuum sealer bags, but this year wanted to upgrade my bags..Anyone have a source for them?:mug:

Bighops

If you keep them in your freezer, no significant amount of UV light will get to them. What you should be concerned about is oxygen permeability.

+1 on doing the regular bag method as you are. What source of UV light is inside a freezer?

LHBS has them in those bags because they display them and they get shipped and taken out of the store by customers.

Waste of money IMO.

Ahh, found it.. Mylar oxygen barrier food bags..

hxxps://www.usaemergencysupply.com/emergency_supplies/mylar_food_storage_bags.htm

I did a quick test..resealed the original bag and it did close fine on a standard food saver. No vacuum tho.

The way this guy did it @ local brew shop, using a homemade compression unit..First compressed the hops, cut bag to 1-2 oz portions size, seal all but one end..Drop in your compressed hops in, roll out the air and seal.

My compression unit is completed..it's a pleasure working w/ these hops at 1/4 the original size..

Will give these bags a try this year..I've have problems with regular food saver bags being punctured by the hops and loosing vacuum..

Bighops

worthless.gif

Will give these bags a try this year..I've have problems with regular food saver bags being punctured by the hops and loosing vacuum..

Bighops

Punctured? I never had that happen with quite a few #s bagged with the standard foodsaver and rival bags. You sure that you're just not getting some hop debris in the area that gets heated and sealed?

Yep punctured...hops fill the bag at that point and loose a ton of its lupulin in loose form..

I was using Walmart brand, picked up some Rival and has made an improvement..Quality is better..thanx.

The home made compression unit is working very well..Actually much better than I thought..

I managed to do a few bags today.. the 3 1/2 plugs hold together tight and they stay packed...this was a bit of a task tho it takes allot of pressure to produce a plug.

Notice I said "pressure" pounding doesn't do the job..;)

Bighops

I've had good luck with just plain ol' bag rolls from ebay for my bulk hop buys. No reason to waste $$ on something you don't need for the homegrown hops. Kind of defeats the purpose of growing your own IMHO.

Plugs just made from previous last year’s harvest. The bags opened up in the freezer so used them as a trial run.

Kent Golding 1 oz is commercial packaging.

Foil Mylar packing is local brew shop Hallertau NZ 1 oz (local grower)..It's been compressed but didn't hold shape...Not bad but always looking to improve.

These plugs turned out smaller than my usual packing with less surface area contacting bag (3 1/2x 1/2"). All the lupulin stays in place. I think the vacuum sealed bags is the way to go, forget about the Mylar..even tho I like the look of Mylar.. no vacuum and the cost is just not worth it..:mug:

Bighops

Hops.pulgsA.jpg

I saw you pictures of vac. packed hops. They look very good. I am not clear on the Plug? Is that how you got them in that tight circle? Please explain as I am prepairing to harvest my first crop and would like to try this out.

I've had good luck with just plain ol' bag rolls from ebay for my bulk hop buys. No reason to waste $$ on something you don't need for the homegrown hops. Kind of defeats the purpose of growing your own IMHO.

I agree, but at 25 cents each, I think it's worth the extra peace of mind.

I could care less about the uv due to mine staying in the freezer. but if you're that worried, use the food saver then put the purged bag inside the mylar bag and seal it over the food saver.

What are you using to press the plugs?

Sorry about the late response..Was busy pressing my Cascade harvest, they were just right on drying and couldn’t wait any longer..

So anyway, what I'm using is a custom build Hop press.. It uses two Hydraulic rams capable of 10,000 lbs of force. It’s a custom Jig I welded together and has a 2 3/4" inner diameter tube made from pvc.;)

Makes two plugs at once. I push a button,..go make a couple vacuum bags..come back release the pressure…put them into bags and seal..Do it again..

Sorry about the late response..Was busy pressing my Cascade harvest, they were just right on drying and couldn’t wait any longer..

So anyway, what I'm using is a custom build Hop press.. It uses two Hydraulic rams capable of 10,000 lbs of force. It’s a custom Jig I welded together and has a 2 3/4" inner diameter tube made from pvc.;)

Makes two plugs at once. I push a button,..go make a couple vacuum bags..come back release the pressure…put them into bags and seal..Do it again..

Pics Please... Sounds pretty awesome!

Latest posts

Back