Changing yeast for my second batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewnscooter

Reaction score
I recently made my first extract batch of "Brewer's Best American Amber". I was happy with the kit so I just picked up a Kolsch kit. The kit comes with a packet of Nottingham, but I thought I might try using an actual Kolsch yeast (WLp209). Is it ok to just shake up the tube and pitch it, or should I try to make a starter? I'm also a little confused about how to pitch the starter (if that's what I do). Do I just dump the whole starter in or drain the liquid off first and how long does the starter need to "brew" before adding? TIA.

there are lots of schools of thought about your questions. Many, myself included, will say the single vial is not enough yeast or at least making a 2L starter will greatly improve the fermentation and the beer. I suggest making the starter a day or maybe two before your brew so that the starter will be actively fermenting when you pitch it. 2L of starter and wort will not influence your beer but you can put the starter in the fridge for 12-24 hrs to allow the yeast to drop, decant the liquid, and pitch but it really isn't worth it in my opinion. A few things you don't mention are: aeration and nutrients. It's also a good idea to use a stir plate or oxygenate your starter as well as pitching a bit of yeast nutrient in the starter. Same goes for the beer (wort). There are tons of threads on these topics but that's the 'gist'. Word up and good luck!

I'm not sure what OG you have in mind. I will offer a second point of view.
Unless the OG is to be above 1.06 I do not think a starter is necessary.

A started is easy and may improve the chances for a vigorous fermentation but it isn't necessary.

If you do use a starter don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Shake your starter often but don't worry about a stir plate if you haven't got one. Brew with what you have you can get a stir plate later.

The previous two pieces of advice are quite good. The rule of thumb on starters is to not worry so much unless your OG is .060 or above. I began using starters beginning with my fourth batch and find them fun to do. I don't have a stir plate and made my third starter yesterday evening. Quick and fun and I have the peace of mind that the fermentation will more than likely take off shortly after pitching (relatively speaking).

Back