Düsseldorf Altbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baltaperales

Reaction score
Decided to brew a Düsseldorf Altbier from extract. I haven't brewed in about 1 1/2 years. I really missed the smell of boiling wort. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Yes I am, I pitched the yeast at about 68 degrees and I noticed movement in the air lock chamber about 10 hrs later.

One thing I'd suggest for Altbier is try to ferment at a lower temp than 68. I'd shoot for 62 degrees. I know White Labs says the minimum optimal temperature for this yeast is 65 but I'd suggest you got to that or even lower. Hope it goes excellent for you.

I currently have it at 63. I agree with you on the temp. I figured 63 was a good target temp.

Decided to brew a Düsseldorf Altbier from extract. I haven't brewed in about 1 1/2 years. I really missed the smell of boiling wort. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Welcome back to the fold!
Altbiers are some of my absolute favorite- to my mind like a slightly hoppier Oktoberfest. This year's batches are just coming ready and are pretty darn good. :mug:

Here is the recipe I used;

Düsseldorf Altbier

INGREDIENTS
For 5.5 gallons (21 L)

2 cans (6.6 lb, or 3.0 kg) | Light Malt Extract

1.25 lb (0.57 kg) | Light Liquid Munich Malt Extract

0.5 lb (0.23 kg) | Special b Malt (120° L)

0.5 lb (0.23 kg) | CaraMunich Malt (60° L)

0.25 lb (0.11 kg) | Carafa Malt (400° L)

1.5 oz (43 g) | *Perle hops, 8.75% alpha acid (60 min)

1.0 oz (28 g) | *Tettnang Hops, 4.5% alpha acid (15 min)

0.75 tsp (3 g) | Irish moss (15 min)

2 packages | Wyeast 1007 German Ale Yeast, or White Labs WLP036 Dusseldorf Alt Yeast, or white Labs WLP029 German Ale/Kölsch yeast, or a sufficient yeast starter
*Use similar hops, if Perle or Tettnag hops are unavailable.

SPECIFICATIONS

Original Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV: 5.4%
IBU: 42
SRM: n/a
Boil Time: 60 minutes
Efficiency: n/a
Pre-boil Volume: 3 gallons (11.4 L)
Pre-boil Gravity: n/a

DIRECTIONS

Steep the grains in 2 gallons (7.6 L) of cool water.

Heat the water to 170°F (77°C), then strain the grains.

Stir in malt extract and add enough water to bring the volume up to 3 gallons (11.4 L), and bring to a boil.

Add bittering hops and boil for 45 minutes, then add aroma hops and re-hydrated Irish moss and continue boiling for 15 minutes. Cool the wort, and then pour into fermenter with enough cold water to make 5.5 gallons (21 L).

Aerate and pitch yeast when temperature drops to 65°F (18°C).

Ferment at 65°-68° F (18°-20° C) for one week or until fermentation is complete. Age the beer in a secondary fermenter for one week at 65°F (18°C).

Carbonate to 1.5-2.5 volumes of CO2.

Looks like a pretty tasty recipe. I used those same hops, but also added 1 oz. Hersbrucker at 5 minutes, and then dryhopped with 1/2 oz Hersbrucker in my alt, and 1 oz. in my doublealt. I like what the additional aroma and flavor of the Hersb. adds.
Hope she turns out well for you!

Back