Calibrated Hydrometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reim0027

Reaction score
In one of the threads, I read you have to have a hydrometer that is calibrated to measure the SG. Is that true?

From my understanding, the hydrometer measures density. It is set against pure water as a base unit, 1. Then it measures densities of water, so 2.0000 would be twice as dense as water, where 1.050 would be 1.5 times as dense.

Based on that understanding, any hydrometer should work (as long as it is set to read the SG range you are looking for), not just one calibrated for the sugar.

Don't see y not. If u are asking a question about someone using the word calibrate, that might be in reference to calibrating with distilled water. Our hydrometers r not exactly lab quality and can be off.

from a previous post about hydrometers it is my understanding S.G. is the same whether it be sugar, salt or whatever.

The calibration is referencing the range. So That you can read what you want. A Hydrometer with a range of 2.030 to 1.970 would not do you any good in most cases for beer work.

From my understanding, the hydrometer measures density. It is set against pure water as a base unit, 1. Then it measures densities of water, so 2.0000 would be twice as dense as water, where 1.050 would be 1.5 times as dense.

1.05 times as dense, or 5% more dense.

1.05 times as dense, or 5% more dense.

I meant 1.500, where's a facepalm smilie when you need one? :cross:

Good, so any hydrometer will work, as long as it's range is applicable to beer.

Next question - is this the same for a refractometer then? Does it need to be designed for sugar, or will any refractometer work (with the required reference range)?

EDIT:
I found Bobby's refractometer video and downloaded the morebeer's calculation spreadsheet. My work has a refractometer, but it does not read in Brix. It reads Specific Gravity. It is designed for urine. I assume, since it measures the refraction of light, that this refractometer won't work unless designed for beer?

refractometer This may help answer some of your questions. Make sure the hydrometer u buy has a high enough s.g. scale for your wort, most measure in brix and need converted.

Sorry the refractometer on the last post was suppose to be a link to a topic previously posted. I do not have the computer skills I guess to do this properly.

Back