Can a carboy take a near-boiling wort??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zstar5000

Reaction score
Hey all, first post here. I want to ferment in a carboy. Because carboys are so heavy duty I'm assuming they can take the high temperature of the wort, but I'm not sure. I was thinking of "priming" the carboy with very hot water before poring the wort in, just to be safe.

Also, should I use a funnel to get the wort in there? Thanks!

don't do it - even if the carboy survives your going to suffer from hot side aeration!

No!

Glass carboys can be heat shocked and could break.

Plastic carboys are not rated for heat up that high.

Why would you want to raise the wort temperature. You want to get it down to pitching temp of 70-75 degrees F. You want to cool the wort before you put it in the carboy.

If you are wanting to sanitize the carboy you need to use a sanitizer such as Starsan, or Idophor.

You can use a funnel, just make sure it has been sanitized.

I once cracked out the bottom of a carboy because it was sitting in a tub filling with hot water. So no, DON'T pour boiling water into it!

don't do it - even if the carboy survives your going to suffer from hot side aeration!

Hot Side Aeration is a myth, and doesn't happen on homebrewers scale. I always pour hot wort from my sparge tank into the boiler and I've never ever had oxidation problems.

Back