What to do with wild hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ndstorey

Reaction score
In a few canyons I have gone backpacking in around here I have found wild hops growing. How should I use them? I don't know what the AA is obviously and the aroma is unknown. They could make a really bitter beer, maybe not though. They could have a great finishing hop character, but then agian,maybe. What do you guys think?

If they smell good, I'd use them for a late aroma addition or dry hopping.

(Not sure why the "aroma is unknown", unless you're saying they're just not ready yet? Whatever hey smell like on the vine, when mature, is pretty much what they'll smell like in your beer)

Biermann said:
I'd make a small sample single hop pale ale with them-- That way, you'll get a feel for what bittering/flavor/aroma characteristics they have.

That is what I would do to...keep the grain bill simple, and start out small. Maybe an ounce at 60 and 1/2oz at 5 and see what you get.

Aroma is unknown because they are still too young to pick. They could be really citrusy or for some reason just skunky, who knows? If I use them while fresh should I just use the 3 oz. fresh hops to 1 oz. to dry hop rule that I heard on BasicBrewingRadio ?

3:1 or 4:1 is a good number. Wild hops are probably Brewer's Gold, Bullion or some hybrid. Use the German flick test for ripeness. Just snap a cone like you were firing off a spitwad. If it breaks off the vine, harvest them.

Do they look like these:

Humulus%20lupulus%20fol%205Jun05%201206p%20700x.jpg

Humulus%20lupulus%20lvs%205Jun05%201208p%20417x.jpg

Humulus%20lupulus%20habitat%205Jun05%201210p.jpg

and did you find them at an elevation around 5000-7000 feet ASL possiblt trailing over a rock face like in the last photo? If so, maybe you found Humulus Lupulus Neomexicana as they are native to your area. I have no idea what the flavour is like, or if it has ever been used in brewing.

Good luck.

No, but they are related closely enough that you can graft hops onto pot roots and vice versa.

Hey thats exactly what they look like! Yep in a canyon at 5941 feet (I marked it in my GPS) but growing on the floor of the canyon next to the stream.
Funny sidenote: I clipped some rhizomes and planted them in a very public place. they sprouted about 3 weeks ago and someone clipped them probably thinking the little many fingered leaves were probably something illegal:p

Hmm, well I have no idea whether or not they are non-toxic, although I don't believe any hops are toxic. I say, dry 'em out and give 'em a whirl in a 1 gallon batch made with only DME or LME to see how they taste. I'd do a half ounce at 60, 30 and dry to see how they bitter, flavour and impart aroma.

Who knows, even if they aren't typically used in beer you might like the taste even if nobody else does. Heck, you might spur on the invention of a new beer style, Flagstaff Arizona Ale! I've heard of crazier things!

hops are a sister plant to cannabis. you couild make a hop tea for a flavor and bitterness check, and a hop rub( grind some hops in hand and stick your nose in your hands to smell once ground). if they smell and taste good then throw them in some wort.

I'm not too worried about the hops being toxic. Great ideas with the DME only batch and the hop tea. I like the idea of local beers made out of local ingredients. Last fall I made a prickly pear beer from cactus fruit I collected in Sedona. It was fantastic.

Back