Caramel Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlyday

Reaction score
On holloween I brewed a batch with some stuff I had sitting around, so I would have something to keg with the kegging system I was getting. This was the recipe.

3.3 lbs Briess Bavarian Wheat LME
3.3 lbs Briess Pilsen Light LME
8 oz Crystal 60L
2 oz Chocolate Malt
4 oz Malto-Dextrine

1 oz Hallertau hops at 60 minutes
1 oz East Kent Goldings at 15 minutes

Irish moss added at 15 minutes.

48 hours before brewing I created a 1.5 liter starter with the WL East Coast Ale Yeast.

I kegged it about two weeks ago using the set and forget method. I took a taste last week, before it was carbed up, and its really creamy(not watery) which I assume is from the malto dextrine, but it has a carmely taste to it. Not sure what that is from, since I havent used the bavarian wheat lme or that yeast or that combination of hops.

Dont get me wrong, its a damn tasty beer. But I am just trying to learn where the flavors are coming from.

Probably the chocolate and Malto combo. I use Bavarian a lot and only get that caramel taste if I use dark candy sugar, chocolate, Molases or malto dextrin

I figured the malto dextrine was probably to blame. It might taste a little different when it is all carbed up.

The caramel taste would be from the Crystal 60. If you have any laying around pop a few grains in your mouth and chew them...you'll know what I mean then.

I tasted the beer again tonight, it was more carbed and a little colder, it wasnt nearly as carmely, but as it got warmer, the taste became more prominent. Ill taste the Crystal 60 and see what it taste like.

Back