is it okay to bottle directly to growlers from bottling bucket...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. They aren't designed to hold pressure and will likely explode.If you want lessbottles get on the lookout for 22oz.

No. They aren't designed to hold pressure and will likely explode.If you want lessbottles get on the lookout for 22oz.

I can see how the screw top might not seal the pressure, but I HIGHLY doubt that the glass will shatter. I've been thinking about a way to use growlers to bottle-prime, but don't trust the twist caps. I suspect you MAY be able to get them to work. Does anyone here have experience bottle priming growlers?

What about a stone style growler something with a swing top?I've seen bottles with swing tops that went up to 32oz.

This is an interesting and somewhat debated topic. Basically, it depends on the growler.

If it's thin glass and looks like a miniature carboy, it wasn't designed to hold pressure. Some people have used them successfully, some report leaky caps, and others have indeed created large bottle bombs. Those are definitely not recommended for priming, though you'll find a few homebrewers who swear by them.

If the glass is thick, and the appearance is more like a big, wide beer bottle, it's more likely that the growler will hold pressure. IIRC, the German style brown glass ones with swing tops are more likely to yield success.

If you just want to bottle larger volumes, use 22 oz bottles or even 2 or 3 liter soda bottles. They work great.

I generally keg these days, and sometimes when I yield more than five gallons I'll fill up a growler with what's left without priming it. The result is reminiscent of a Kellebier or cask ale. Given the cautionary tales I've heard, however, I've never actually primed one.

I can see how the screw top might not seal the pressure, but I HIGHLY doubt that the glass will shatter. I've been thinking about a way to use growlers to bottle-prime, but don't trust the twist caps. I suspect you MAY be able to get them to work. Does anyone here have experience bottle priming growlers?

I've read a few threads on this forum about exploding growlers. Do a search. I personally wouldn't risk it.

You over-estimate glass. The bottom of these will pop right off. Won't explode like a beer bottle (since it won't get up to too high of a pressure), but the bottle will crack right off if you try to bottle in a regular growler.

You're bottling up to 12+PSI. Think about how many square inches are on that glass bottom, and multiply by 12. Then let me know if you would put something weighing that much on the bottom of the growler.

Basically, large flat areas and where they transition to other shapes are the weakest point. I have some growlers with a big inward dimple on the bottom, and they'll take pressure just fine. My others, not so much.

So I guess pressurizing my 6.5 gallon carboy is out?

Try it! And then report back to us. :cross:

Basically, any bottle that is meant to take pressure is fine. Champagne bottles, beer bottles, soda bottles, etc are all ok.

Bottles NOT designed to take pressure- wine bottles, carboys, growlers (beyond storing an already carbonated beverage), etc are not. Even water bottles are not meant to be as strong as soda bottles, even though both are plastic.

Be safe! We don't want anyone to get hurt.

Using just enough CO2 to start a siphon is one thing, but pressurizing a carboy for a length of time (or a growler) is not something on my to-do list.

I've used growlers a lot and it works fine.

I use the Rogue Dead Guy style growlers, not the swing tops. I've also noticed that brown glass growlers work better than clear glass growlers. There seems to be a difference in the size of the threads.
half%20gallon%20brown%20jug.JPG

I think using the poly seal lined plastic caps and NOT metal caps is an important part...
phpThumb.php

Latest posts

Back