Skeeter Pee questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Ok So I have started my first ever Skeeter Pee batch and looking very forward to it when it is ready. A few questions I am having so far. First off my Skeeter Pee so far looks nothing even remotely close to yellow. Right now it actually has a lemonade color to it. Made it one week ago.

Second. I followed the directions to the letter as best I could. I was waiting for the gravity to get to 1.050 and then I was going to add the additional ingredients. The previous night the reading was 1.055 so I decided to wait another 24 hours. Last night it had dropped to about 1.035. So I quickly added the nutrient and energizer and shook the sh&t out of it. Bubbling away nicely this morning. What effects, if any, will this have?

Third is a bottling question. Did I need to cork the bottles or can screw bottles be used? And by screw bottles I mean wine bottles that have a screw on top.

Thank you all in advance for any advice.

Ice

#1 - It looked like lemonade because it was lemonade. Sugary water and lemon juice is lemonade.

#2 - Since only 24 hours passed since it was 1.055 it's fine, the late nutrient addition is just to boost it over the hump on it's way to go dry. It could get stuck, but that's definitely not the end of the world, especially if you've already made it to 1.035 (easy fix). Likely it'll ferment away as it should.

#3 - I have no experience in screw top wine bottles.

I'm making my first batch as well and I was planning on corking a few for presents and then the rest put in the wine bottles with the screw top. I couldn't see a problem with the lids as long as they had a good seal.

made my first batch not that long ago as well...turned out good, but needed that sugar to level out the tartness/sourness @ the end...I flavored up a few wine bottles with kool-aid to see which flavors we like best, to kind of play with it a bit...but I've been using some Grolsch beer bottles for those samples and just the wine bottle pourers with the flip top stoppers...seems to work out ok with no forced openings or explosions...yet... (runs to check the beer fridge for *surprises*)

good luck on your adventure...

Back