Dumping on yeast cake with gelatine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rod734

Reaction score
I have a pilsner I was going to rack from the primary to a corny but it was quite dirty so I put it in a carboy to let it settle some but after a week it wasnt clearing very fast so I added some gelatine. I was planning on dumping a new batch on this yeast cake when I rack it to the corny, will the gelatine effect the fermitation of the new beer by not letting the yeast stay in suspension?
thanks;

The gelatin pulls the yeast out of suspension and clears your beer by means of electrostatic charge. The gelatin has an opposite electrostatic charge as the yeast cells which causes them to attract and bind together. The increased weight of this neutral bond causes them to fall out of solution faster, which gives us clear beer.

So, I wouldnt re-pitch on gelatin. The yeast is electrostatically bonded with the gelatin, I doubt that you can reverse that just by adding fresh wort. Maybe someone who has tried it can chime in?

I've reused an ale yeast cake that had gelatin in it with no problems. Give it a try and good luck.:mug:

Latest posts

Back