Partial Mash om the stove

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trooper1

Reaction score
Hello to all. this is my first post so feel free to correct me if needed.

I am just starting do order mini mash kits, I would like to hear how others handling the spargeing stage and tips for hitting OG and or fixing a missed OG.

+1 to that.

I do my sparge differently though because I don't have on pot big enough to fit all my sparge water and grains. I generally have to use two pots to heat all my sparge water, and then when the mash is done I pick up the grains, put them in a strainer over my brewpot, and just pour my sparge water through. It's probably not the most efficient sparge (my efficiency numbers are usually 5-10% below what DB gets with his sparge), but it's better than nothing until I can get a second brewpot. I've since moved to stovetop 2.5 gallon AG BIAB batches.

As far as hitting OG, I usually target 70% efficiency and and am happy with the results. I'm not super picky about being dead on since I don't think I can taste a .005 or less difference in OG, so I tempt fate and usually don't have DME on hand for fixing a missed OG, but I haven't had to adjust yet. And if you're doing partial boils you can just add more or less top off water to hit your OG and have a slightly different sized batch, although I would recommend taking the OG measurement before you add water so you don't have to worry about whether or not it's mixed well.

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I have already picked up a few tips from the above mentioned thread as well. I am for sure going to 2 pots on the stove, Slowbie I like the idea of lowering the top off water to hit OG,

Latest posts

Back