Anyone brewed an IPA with EKG ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen pretty good selections of Fullers and St Austell in Germany! I think I saw a pretty complete set in a department store in Franconia couple of years ago. They even had Robinsons Old Tom.

Coming back to this again.
A few years back I bought two packs of Windsor dry yeast but never got around to using them.
Do you think this beer would turn out good with that yeast as they are expired since last month and I'd like to use them up?
However I'd rather not mess up this beer for the sake of a few bucks.
The attenuation would probably be a bit low but I can mash at a lower temperature to counteract this; maybe also add 1/4 to 1/2 a pound of dark brown sugar.

Coming back to this again.
A few years back I bought two packs of Windsor dry yeast but never got around to using them.
Do you think this beer would turn out good with that yeast as they are expired since last month and I'd like to use them up?
However I'd rather not mess up this beer for the sake of a few bucks.
The attenuation would probably be a bit low but I can mash at a lower temperature to counteract this; maybe also add 1/4 to 1/2 a pound of dark brown sugar.

So I actually brewed this again 3 weeks ago with the only change from the original recipe being that I used WLP005 at about 65F.
I measured a sample a few days ago and it was at 1.016 with no hints of diacetyl. However yesterday I added a Fermwrap to see if I could get it a few points lower before I bottle tomorrow.

I have no idea what temperature it will be raised to but I guess somewhere between 68 and 70. I'm going to take another sample tonight so I'll measure the temperature then.

Looking forward to this one because last time I tried was with WLP002 and I thought it was finished. It was my first English IPA and I was really enjoying it too but after two weeks in the bottle it was way overcarbed. :(

I always have a hard time handling that yeast. Be it either WLP002 or WY1968 :mad:

So I actually brewed this again 3 weeks ago with the only change from the original recipe being that I used WLP005 at about 65F.
I measured a sample a few days ago and it was at 1.016 with no hints of diacetyl. However yesterday I added a Fermwrap to see if I could get it a few points lower before I bottle tomorrow.

I have no idea what temperature it will be raised to but I guess somewhere between 68 and 70. I'm going to take another sample tonight so I'll measure the temperature then.

Looking forward to this one because last time I tried was with WLP002 and I thought it was finished. It was my first English IPA and I was really enjoying it too but after two weeks in the bottle it was way overcarbed. :(

I always have a hard time handling that yeast. Be it either WLP002 or WY1968 :mad:

So it went up to 80 with the brew belt :eek: but it seemed to have done the trick because it finished at 1.011 and I don't have any fear of it being overcarbed.
After 9 days in the bottle it's tasting great. :rockin:

So it went up to 80 with the brew belt :eek: but it seemed to have done the trick because it finished at 1.011 and I don't have any fear of it being overcarbed.
After 9 days in the bottle it's tasting great. :rockin:

Have you posted the recipe?

I brewed an IPA with all EKG once. It was disgusting. One of the worst beers I've ever brewed. It doesn't taste infected either. I'll see if I can find the recipe when I get home.

Looking for a English IPA recipe, and this looks great!

For extract could I steep all the Amber and crystal and use dry wheat? Any thoughts if it would still turn out alright?

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 86.13 %
14.4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.58 %
6.4 oz Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 3.45 %
5.4 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 2.84 %
1.25 oz Chinook [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 33.1 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs Thames Valley Ale (Wyeast Labs #1275) [Starter 125 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.062 SG (1.050-1.075 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.058 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.015 SG (1.010-1.018 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Color: 11.0 SRM (8.0-14.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 33.1 IBU (40.0-60.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 10.0 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 6.10 % (5.00-7.50 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 6.26 %
Actual Calories: 257 cal/pint

Brewed this for the 3rd time about a month ago.
The first two times with wlp002 and wlp005.
This time with wlp023 which is supposed to be the white labs equivalent of wy1275.

I must say that the wlp005 was by far my favourite, perfect balance between yeast, malt and hops.

The one with wlp023 was bottled 2 weeks ago so that's probably why at the moment it tastes good but still very yeasty. The wlp005 was already great at this stage. I'll report back in a few weeks as it should have improved by then. Maybe even worth the wait :tank:

What UK Pale Malt are y'all using for the mrbowenz recipe? Marris Otter?

What UK Pale Malt are y'all using for the mrbowenz recipe? Marris Otter?

Yes Maris Otter.

I can report back on the WLP023 version now.
Turned out good but the yeast esters were a bit restrained. I fermented it at 17 to 18oC which is a degree or two lower than the recommended temperature so maybe that was the reason.

I made a really nice English IPA with EKG. Recipe is:

10 pounds maris otter
1 pound torrified wheat
1 pound victory malt
8 ounces crystal 80L

1 ounce EKG 60 minutes
1 ounce EKG 30 minutes
1 ounce EKG 15 minutes
1 ounce EKG 5 minutes

London ESB yeast Wyeast 1968 (big starter)

OG 1.050
FG 1.012 (was shooting more for 1.016)
I think I might give this one a go, but will change a few ingredients according to what I already got at home.

Mo will become pale malt
Victory will be Munich
Torrified wheat will be spelt malt
The crystal will probably be replaced by a mix of other crystals, don't know out of my head what I got at home.

Hops will be saaz and admiral for bittering only.

... Well... I changed every ingredient, but I guess it will stay somehow in the same area :D

The the pub I used to work at had an all EKG British ipa on cask. It was and still is an excellent beer. It had great hop flavor. Too bad I don't have the recipe. I don't think I could mimic the cask though. At any rate it was my favorite beer of theirs.

Try this 1868 Younger's XP (their IPA) http://barclayperkins.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/lets-brew-wednesday-1868-younger-xp.html

WLP023 is pretty clean, so the odd degree won't make a big difference - I plan to play with it as my "summer" yeast.

Wow, that looks interesting for sure. I have never used liquid yeasts but I might consider it for this one. If not, I might be using Nottingham and add about 20% Munich malt to the grist to compensate for the higher attenuation with some more maltiness from the Munich.

A Czeck English ale, my Slovak friends will love it.

Pearl is certainly more neutral (but far from completely neutral), typically it's described as more bready to Otter's biscuitiness.

@Miraculix As that article mentions, it was very much the norm for British brewers to use foreign ingredients from the mid 19th century, they just couldn't keep up with demand any other way.

Yes, I have read that. Very interesting indeed. This brew will follow after my next ipa I am brewing next week to get rid of all those malt and hop rests I have flying around here. Need to regain some storage capacity before I will be able to explain to myself why ordering more malt is a good idea :D

I will go all MO for the saaz one, probably bittered with admiral. So almost a smash. I am still unsure about which yeast to choose. Maybe I will use something liquid for the first time. Don't know yet.

10 pounds maris otter
1 pound torrified wheat
1 pound victory malt
8 ounces crystal 80L

1 ounce EKG 60 minutes
1 ounce EKG 30 minutes
1 ounce EKG 15 minutes
1 ounce EKG 5 minutes

OG 1.050
This was sort of a long time ago, but I'm thinking about a modified version of this recipe, because I have a bunch of MO and EKG right now. What if I leave out the wheat and the victory malt and up the crystal a bit? Think this might work out fine?

This was sort of a long time ago, but I'm thinking about a modified version of this recipe, because I have a bunch of MO and EKG right now. What if I leave out the wheat and the victory malt and up the crystal a bit? Think this might work out fine?

Yes, it would be fine. I like the wheat for head retention, and the victory for "toasty", and less crystal, but that is my preference. If you like more crystal flavor, then it would be great.

Yes, it would be fine. I like the wheat for head retention, and the victory for "toasty", and less crystal, but that is my preference. If you like more crystal flavor, then it would be great.
Great! I'm going to try this one out for Spring. If it ever gets here...

I don't think you even need more crystal. Just sub victory for more Maris. I'd keep four ounces of wheat. A dash of crystal, mo and plenty of Goldings is great for a beer in the 1.055 region. Yeast on the drier side and a nice dry hop and you're sorted.

It's probably differences on how British beers are interpreted in the US. WLP013 would fit the bill maybe a bit better. Over here we'd be looking for dry, snappy, with a bitter bite. Maybe some caramel / malt hints or aromatics but not finishing sweet. White Shield is a good example for something a tad old fashioned.

Hi guys - anyone brewed both Yoopers and Bowenz IPA and have feedback? I brewed Bowenz once had a bit of a mare and missed numbers, and used Burton yeast, so try again or go for Yoopers?

10 pounds maris otter
1 pound torrified wheat
1 pound victory malt
8 ounces crystal 80L

1 ounce EKG 60 minutes
1 ounce EKG 30 minutes
1 ounce EKG 15 minutes
1 ounce EKG 5 minutes

OG 1.050

Made a smash with 12 lbs of marris
otter and almost the same hops profile. Used an ounce extra after 7 days for dry hopping.

Yeast was Bry 97.

mash at 152 for 60.

Collected 5.5 gallon in the fermenter

Was fairly decent...

I was mostly using what I had available that needed to be used before it got too old.

Might have added some Cara for head retention, but didn't have any availabile at the time.

Last edited:
Back