Nutrients for hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewjunky

Reaction score
Im just wondering if there are any nutrients that can be bought that are good for hop plants. Like something like miracle grow of anything like that?

I've heard of alot of people using straight steer manure.
I try to find fertilizers that contain little Urea Nitrate. Not sure if my hops don't like it but I know my tobacco plants don't;)

Im just wondering if there are any nutrients that can be bought that are good for hop plants. Like something like miracle grow of anything like that?

I use a systemic stuff called "VF-11" but since this is my first year growing hops I can't tell if it helps or not. I would watch for nutrient deficiency signs from the plant. As long as you have good soil it shouldn't need much if anything. Mulch with some good manure and keep an eye on the plants.

:off: My Dad was born in Winnipeg. How are things up there?

Hops are nitrogen hogs while the bines are growing, but soil varies so much, it's tough to say what would work best. My 'soil' is a lot like modeling clay, except stickier. It is acidic and deficient in every nutrient I tested; except potash (aka wood ashes). When I planted, I used a mix of soil, peat moss, compost and Vermiculite. I use a dilute solution of Miracle Grow with each watering. This is in addition to lime, compost, moldy hay, blood meal and bone meal that were applied a few months ago.

So far, my home-grown hops have cost about $15/ounce.

So far, my home-grown hops have cost about $15/ounce.

Classic... I'm trying to avoid this, but as I've had to build a new trellis this year at my parents home as I'm moving... the cost have sky-rocketted!

Schlante,
Phillip

i've been using bird guano for early growth, and bat guano for flowering time. its organic and potent, you can get it on the internet or at a hydroponic store if you can find one.

Zap Tap Lauter Tun... Mix compost/manure in a 2-nested false bottom bucket add water and let the sun do the beat down, then water. Works for me!

PM - me for details on making your own organic fertilizer. See Sig 2008 Hop Report for results...

2008_hops_III_005.jpg

Back