General question on temps and fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenmeadow

Reaction score
First, let me dispense with the introduction. I'm brand new to this forum and never thought I'd find a hombrew forum. Imagine my delight when I found this! I'm thrilled to be here!

I got away from homebrewing for a few years and jumped back in last weekend by making a batch of a mead (5 gals) and an American Ale (5 gals) for my neighbor. I've done the mead before, but not the ale. I'm quite sure I did well with sanitizing and all my prep on both batches.

Problem is, both are not having the usual strong blow-off I'm used to with kreusen pressing up through the blow-off hose and a thick layer of foam forming on to of the brew. I see CO2 bubbles rising to the top in steady streams and I can hear a regular "blurp" of the CO2 passing through the blow-off hose and out through sanitized solution the end of the hose is standing in. This "blurp" happens roughly every 5 seconds, so there is considerable production going on.

Am I experiencing a blow-off with fewer "fireworks" than normal because the temp in my brewing room is lower than ale yeast would like? I'm registering a temp of about 48-50 degrees down there. I'm sure everything is alright and maybe I should just relax and have a homebrew, but I'd like to hear some other opinions. Please share your thoughts!

I think your ferm temps are a bit low, but (better low than high)

As far as not having a gusher, it happens! All of my brews up to this point have all required a blow off tube except for my last batch of holiday ale. Id be surprised if the krausen ring even made it to 1/2" above the brew. The fermentation bubbling of the airlock is steady at a few burps a minute, but in no way is this a gusher like I had figured it might be.

Beers are fickle - I rig off a blow off on EVERY brew, but sometimes the yeast dont feel like getting rowdy. I dont think its anything to worry about :)
-Me

I ferment my ales at 62-65, much lower than that and they really get sluggish and I worry about the yeast quitting a little too early.

I've rigged a lot of blow-off tubes, but in 25+ batches of ale I've yet to actually need one. The time I don't use one, of course, will be when I needed it.

I have needed a blowoff tube twice, once with an 1.170 Barleywine and the other with a Vienna/nugget SMaSH I have fermenting right now. In the 12 brews between the two I have never needed one. The SMaSH kind of suprised me as it was a 1.048 og and I split the 9gal batch evenly between 2 6.5 gal carboys both reading 62F. Some yeast you will need it some you won't.

Latest posts

Back