Sub Honey malt for Melanoidin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin0782

Reaction score
Went to the homebrew shop today and they didn't have Melanoidin. I was told Honey malt is the typical sub for it. I couldn't really find a lot of info saying either yes or no on here. I'm only using 5 oz in a 5.5 gallon batch with several other specialty malts. Am I good to go here or should I rethink this?

Two very different things.

Melanoidin malt is a replacement for decoction mashing or long strong boils. I'd just replace it with 2 row, and take the first couple quarts of runoff and boil them down to a syrup to get that caramel and melanoidin flavor developed.

I don't really feel like going through the decoction honestly... Maybe I'll just order some Melanoidin. They didn't have a couple of other grains I wanted at the LHBS anyway. Their (lack of) stock irritates me sometimes. Sucks to pay for shipping, but I want the grains that I want.

No need to do a full decoction. Boiling down some of the first runnings should be sufficient- its worked fine for me when making Scottish ales and bocks.

Looks like you could substitute with Munich if you wanted to. You might need to use more though, since google results point ot Meanoidin being 'Munich on steroids'...

One of the google results for you to read...

Looks like you could substitute with Munich if you wanted to. You might need to use more though, since google results point ot Meanoidin being 'Munich on steroids'...

One of the google results for you to read...

I agree with Golddiggie. I'd replace 5oz of melanoiden with maybe a pound of dark munich, maybe two pounds of the lighter stuff. I'd then lower the amount of two-row in the recipe a bit to account for the extra gravity from the munich.

I agree with Golddiggie. I'd replace 5oz of melanoiden with maybe a pound of dark munich, maybe two pounds of the lighter stuff. I'd then lower the amount of two-row in the recipe a bit to account for the extra gravity from the munich.

This is an interesting idea... I have plenty of Munich 10 on hand so, I just may try using 2 lbs.

Latest posts

Back