Leaving for four months...kegging/bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlp121

Reaction score
I'm just getting into brewing and have a keg system. I'll be leaving for four months around may 1st and will have a temperature controlled storage unit to store all my stuff in while I'm gone. The question is, can a brew a few batches and leave them in kegs for this time safely or with good results? will I need to switch to bottling and leave them that way?

I'd have a friend keep tabs on them but they tend to forget about things....or get really thirsty.

Thanks!

Absolutely. Just keep them on gas and you'll have awesome beer when you come back.

Just make sure the temperature is not going to be too high wherever you store them (I know you said you had a temp controlled unit). I wouldn't want it much warmer than 70-75F (preferably less) if I was going to store a keg for up to 4 months.

I guess I could carbonate them before I leave. I'll have to call in to get specifics on temperatures but they would be at whatever room temperature is there.

It might just be a little bit of an irrational fear thing about leaving charged lines on kegs, could I just pump them up a bit to set the lid and leave them off the air bottle?

Thanks for all the responses.

I guess I could carbonate them before I leave. I'll have to call in to get specifics on temperatures but they would be at whatever room temperature is there.

It might just be a little bit of an irrational fear thing about leaving charged lines on kegs, could I just pump them up a bit to set the lid and leave them off the air bottle?

Thanks for all the responses.

Yeah man, just purge any oxygen pump them up to set the lid and you're good to go. Carbonate them when you get back. Or before. Doesn't matter.

If you have time, carb them BEFORE you leave because when you return to some delicious home brew after being gone for 4 months, you don't want to wait for them to carb!!

Latest posts

Back