Cervesa Kit without Lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wronguy

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently bought a Festa Brew Cervesa Kit without realizing it was a lager kit. These kits are 6 gallons of pure wort and the kit came with s23. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to do. I would like to know what type of yeast everyone would suggest, I was thinking Nottingham. I could also hack this kit and make something really cool as well. Please guide me

Thanks,

If you have access to liquid yeast I would make a starter with a very clean and not estery yeast like WLP001 and ferment it at room temp with that (healthy yeast will ferment more neutral). That is what is closest to lager in taste. Give it time and the yeast will clear and give neutral taste close to Mexican Lager (but not exactly the same - manage your expectations ;)

Nottingham fermented in the mid 50's to low 60's give a really clean taste. Safeale S-04 is a another fairly nuetral yeast.

If you have access to liquid yeast I would make a starter with a very clean and not estery yeast like WLP001 and ferment it at room temp with that (healthy yeast will ferment more neutral). That is what is closest to lager in taste. Give it time and the yeast will clear and give neutral taste close to Mexican Lager (but not exactly the same - manage your expectations ;)

+1. The key being manage expectations as the only true way to get a lager is to lager - but you can make a nice hybrid that is highly drinkable.

Latest posts

Back