Questions for Better Bottle Users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schweaty

Doe Re Mi Beer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any suggestions for sanatizing a flow valve on a full carboy? I want to sanatize it before I transfer. (Guess I'm taking all precautions)

Also, the dry air lock let out gas about twice per minute during the early stages of fermentation. The past couple of days (about 7 days since pitching) I don't hear air coming out any more. The air blasts were very noticable in the beginning but not so much now. This sound about right?

One last thing. Anyone have the setup to transfer bottle to bottle using two hoses running from each? Does this help cut down on oxygen contamination?

I'm not being paranoid or worrying too much, this is just the first time I've used these and I am trying to become more familar with my equipment. Thanks for any info/input! :)

Spray bottle of star-san up into the tap and you should be fine.

In terms of the amount of gas comming out of the airlock... don't even bother to think about it. It means very little. Check your gravity reading with your hydrometer.

I, personally, havent used a bottle-to-bottle setup, so I can't comment on that.

The dual hose transfer option is well described on the BB website.
Got to the index page at: Better-Bottle bottles, Better-Bottle carboys, and Better-Bottle fermenters for home winemaking and home brewing
Then to Products/How-to Tips/Racking.

I use it all the time. I pre purge everything with CO2. The BB site even tells you how to use the waste CO2 from the primary to purge the system. This should in theory, limit your oxygen exposure to your bottling/kegging operations, but with a little thought, you can minimize those exposures as well.

Now, does it make a difference? I don't know that here have been any good back to back tests to show the effect on finished beers either short term or long term. I am certainly too lazy to do the test, but am willing to spend the few minutes extra for the airless method.

Back