Steeping malt(s)...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gratus fermentatio

Reaction score
Being a complete AG n00b, I'm asking those of you in the know. Will I be able to convert/extract starch/sugar with enough diastic enzymes to convert other malt(s) through steeping @ 155*F?
BTW, this is for use with Graff, NOT beer.

I think you're asking if you can mash specialty grains (like crystal malts) with your base malt (like two-row, Munich, or wheat). If that's your question, the answer is yes. You add the specialty malts to the grain bill in the mash tun, you do not steep them in the boil pot as in extract brewing.

I think you're asking if you can mash specialty grains (like crystal malts) with your base malt (like two-row, Munich, or wheat). If that's your question, the answer is yes. You add the specialty malts to the grain bill in the mash tun, you do not steep them in the boil pot as in extract brewing.
What makes it different pappers? if I steep them at 155 degrees it says it is just for color and body....if I mash them at 155 with the malt it adds fermentable sugars? why is it different or am I mistaken?

Steve, specialty grains add more than color and body - they add flavors, fermentable and non-fermentable sugars.

That being said, you absolutely can steep them in your boil just as you would in an extract batch. What I meant is that you don't have to - you can add them directly to your grain bill. Practically speaking, that's what most people do. Why? I don't know for sure - mashing with the base malt and enzymes is probably more efficient and it saves a step, streamlined the process.

What makes it different pappers? if I steep them at 155 degrees it says it is just for color and body....if I mash them at 155 with the malt it adds fermentable sugars? why is it different or am I mistaken?

AFAIK, grains for steeping i.e. crystal malts, already have their starch converted to sugars, so you're not going to add more fermentables by mashing them than by simply steeping them. I think most people just add them directly to the grain bill.

I do partial mashes now, and just mash all the grains at once. It's way easier.

Not really. I'm more interested in using a pound or 2 of American 2 row for it's diastic power (and it's sugar & flavour) to convert other malts that have not been converted & may lack diastic enzymes. I have no mash/lauter tun, as I said, I'm a complete AG n00b & I'm thinking of playing with the graff recipe a bit, so I need to be able to steep small amounts of grain without having to purchase AG equipment. I'll get real AG equipment eventually, but for now I'm just experimenting. Regards, GF.

What are you looking to convert? There's not too many items that need to be mashed with other malts. Some would be rice, corn and flaked grains.

What are you looking to convert? There's not too many items that need to be mashed with other malts. Some would be rice, corn and flaked grains.

Specifically: Malted rye, aromatic, honey malt, and "golden naked oats" I'm not sure if the oats are gelatinized or not, I know most flaked grains are. Basically I guess I'm wanting to know if I can steep a small amount of base malt like American 2 row at a proper mash temp (155-165*F?) with an efficiency that will give me enough diastic enzymes to convert an equal or lesser amount of other grains that may not have enough diastic power to convert themselves. It seems to me it would work, but I'm asking those who know more about it so I don't end up wasting time & money on something that might be doomed to fail from the start.

EDIT: I found the answer in another thread, Thanks for helping a n00b! Regards, GF.

Back