equipment advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason1973

Reaction score
hello,

still researching before buy equipment, I'm a person i never go second rate, and i buy hobby supplies with tomorrow in mind.
plan on getting kettle with valve and thermometer (5gallon)
curious would it be okay for a noob to start with a conical(7 gallon)? or would i be biting off more than i can chew?

If you can swing a conical for a fermenter, go for it. I would advise a larger kettle, though. I personally wouldn't go smaller than a 10 gallon bk. easier to do full volume boils without as much worry of boil over!

If you have tomorrow in mind, you should get a larger kettle. 5 gallons is good enough to start with partial boils, but if you intend to make 5 gallon batches of all-grain you will need to boil 6-7 gallons of wort and should get at least an 8 gallon kettle, 10 for a bit more head room.

That said, are there specific reasons you are looking at conicals as opposed to buckets and/or carboys? Check out this sticky before making a decision on that.

+1 on getting a larger BK. You'll have a much easier time maintaining a nice even boil without boil over.

+1 on the 10gal pot... my 8gal gets pretty full during a full boil and I have to watch it like a hawk and turn the gas on and off until it gets going.

I'd invest in a way to control fermentation temps ahead of a conical. Or do a DIY build for a ferm chamber if you do go with a conical. Buckets /carboys are probally a bit easier to throw into a swamp cooler.

If you have tomorrow in mind, you should get a larger kettle. 5 gallons is good enough to start with partial boils, but if you intend to make 5 gallon batches of all-grain you will need to boil 6-7 gallons of wort and should get at least an 8 gallon kettle, 10 for a bit more head room.

That said, are there specific reasons you are looking at conicals as opposed to buckets and/or carboys? Check out this sticky before making a decision on that.

my work area would be limited, so a stand set up on wheels, would allow me relocate rig depending on room temps, and when not in use only have on vehicle to store.

and for person that said have cooling in mind, that why a kettle with valve so can run a cold plate cooler. no prob with bigger kettle but a 5 would fit on my stove, but can just buy a electric burner/hotplate to solve that.

my work area would be limited, so a stand set up on wheels, would allow me relocate rig depending on room temps, and when not in use only have on vehicle to store.

and for person that said have cooling in mind, that why a kettle with valve so can run a cold plate cooler. no prob with bigger kettle but a 5 would fit on my stove, but can just buy a electric burner/hotplate to solve that.

I think the person who said anything about temp was talking about fermentation control, rather than just chilling hot wort. I agree with him. If you are looking to spend the money on a great kettle setup AND some solid fermentation temp control, then go for it. If however, you are doing one or the other, I'd opt to spend some money on fermentation temp control before anything - you'll get better overall results. You can brew beer in a 4 gallon pot on an electric burner and control your ferm temps perfectly and deliver outstanding beer. However, you could brew on a Blichmann top tier and leave the beer to ferment in the changing temps of your basement and have ****ty beer.

If space is a concern, I'd suggest using buckets. They stack nicely, so you can have more than one and you can put other gear in them when they're not being used. Way more space efficient than a conical. Not to mention far, far cheaper.

I second the suggestion for temperature control as well. An old fridge and a Johnson Controls box will keep you making great beer all year 'round. Also, if you're sizing your kettle to fit your stove, you're going to want to make sure it can bring 5 gallons to a boil. Most won't, or will just barely make it. If you're buying "with tomorrow in mind," most people's tomorrows include moving away from the stove top and into a dedicated propane or elecric rig.

Propane in a balconyless condo, building love that.
My burner big anough for kettle its height concern, microwave hood kind of low.

jason1973 said:
Propane in a balconyless condo, building love that.
My burner big anough for kettle its height concern, microwave hood kind of low.

I guess before I recommended a larger kettle I should have asked how big your batch sizes will be... If you're only doing 2.5 gallon batches, the 5 gallon bk should work fine.

Also would a 15 gallon kettle for 5 gallon batches, would thermomiter be too high up?

Yes...most kettles have a strange placement for thermometer that will lead to them not being under the liquid line at some point in your boil/mash. Then again, once its boiling...its boiling, you real only need your reading for post-boil and chilling. If you plan on mashing in a kettle you will run in to issues. I think Spike kettles have a lower thermometer than most other brands.

If you go to any major online vendor and look at the reviews of kettles, you will see this is a common complaint

The kettle is way more important than the conical right now, plus, conicals take up way more room and are near impossible to temp control without building an entire dedicated fermentation room.

That being said, take the biggest pot you have and see how long it takes to bring a few gallons of water to a boil (without using a lid) it's pretty tough for most stoves. Then remember that a stainless pot will have more heat capacity and a higher r value than aluminum.

If you really are looking to spend some serious money (conical and a nice bk = at least 800) then maybe you should consider an ebrew setup.

My opinion is the great thing about home brewing is you can brew quality for practically no money. A smaller aluminum pot from walmart (17 quarts i think runs like 30), a bucket fermenter, a trashcan to swamp cool both the hot wort and then the fv. Some bottling accessories, cleaners, and an autosiphon... And then the only money you're out as you expand is the 30 for a big pot, and the 6 dollars for a trashcan....

edit: deleted my double post...dropped my phone and hit send, then back then send again

Also, a chest freezer from craigslist and temp control (it's already been mentioned) would take up about as much room as a conical, and it would be the best 150 you could spend on your brewing

150 for temp control freezer? That suppose be cheap? Ther 120 at home depot here in toronto , allready have one for my meat.
And considering e setup thats why asked about doing five gallon in 15 gallon. Kettle cause thats smallest size i can find allready electric.
And i have a ceramic stove a 3 gallon pot boils in less than 3 minutes so my stove not issue, but weather a pot over five gallons would fit between stove and microwave. Did find a source gor preassemble heat elents that can be mounted in a brew kettle.

I was over estimating, based on what you'd probably pay if you didn't shop around for a couple weeks. Maybe the refrigeration laws in Canada are more lax so they are cheaper. But my guess is that "temp control" freezer had a little dial that you can turn from slushy to hoth. Accurate to +/- 5dF, that gives you 10 degrees to fluctuate..... Not that great when you are trying to shoot for 55 and you are actually hitting 65.

I was referring to something like the Johnson temp control, something external, designed to keep it within two degrees F. They run anywhere from $20 on up, plus the cost of the freezer.

Latest posts

Back