Recommendations for small stir motor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skifast1

Reaction score
Hi all - I'm building a simple HERMS setup and I want to mount a little DC motor on top of the heater tank, sticking down through the lid into the hot water so I get a pseudo-counterflow action against the copper coils.

3380-HERMS_tank_ins_1_sm.jpg

Can anyone recommend a source/spec on a motor for this kind of application? It won't take much power, but i'm concerned the little hobby motors @ Radioshack are too small and the monsters @ Grainger/Mouser are too big.

Thanks!

Isn't someone using an ice cream motor. I realize that would be an AC motor, not DC, but a converter could take care of things.

Whoa - jackpot! :ban:

Love the idea of a blender motor! I'd have to mount it offset from center or I'd leave the heating element in the open-air 'eye of the storm' :) I'm indifferent to AC/DC (haha) - my HERMS cart is already wired for AC....

3380-HERMS_wiring_box_relay_NEUT_switch.jpg

...so if it's not too bulky i'd just as soon avoid having to build in a transformer.

Back